Rec diving philosophies? (vs. tec DIR/Hogarthian/etc...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

By whatever means, we all should aspire to be more fit. Cudos to you!!!!

The swim test for GUE-F really doesn't require a high level of fitness. I'd know, I was in terrible shape when I took the class and managed to pass. Fundies actually encouraged me to get in better shape and focus more on my health. My diving (and every day life) has since seen positive consequences.[/QUOTE]

Well, swimming fast can require specific movements that can be difficult. I have had my right collarbone put back together after a fracture, and sustained a frozen shoulder as a result; swimming laps in the crawl (or any other stroke that requires a full range of motion of the shoulder) will result, after a couple of days, in me having an arm that's very painful to use. I can just barely squeak by the swim tests using sidestroke, and I mean just barely. It is not a fitness issue, in terms of cardiovascular tolerance or strength or stamina; it's a fitness issue if you define fitness as not having any disabilities, which some GUE instructors do.

My plan was to create that team/DIR hotspot in Massachusetts after passing the Fundies and having at least some practical exposure to the system.

Now it is plan B (which should have been plan A), getting folks together first to have someone to pass the Fundies with.

Any DIR/GUE divers in MA, NH, southern ME contemplating to come out of hiding?

You don't need to start from scratch, they exist in your area already. Try getting in touch with Meredith T. (Mer), she could probably facilitate some GUE-F interest or put you in touch with others who are in the same predicament. You can also try the GUE board.

I took Fundies when I only had 25 dives. Did not pass, but it was far from a waste of my time or money, and i came out of it not remotely demoralized.

Yabbut you had two bonehead teammates ... one who was trying to learn how to dive doubles and one who put his rig together the night before the class. Struggling teammates definitely make it harder to pass.

Frankly I thought you did better than me ... and I had about 875 dives more than you at the time ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Just another thought.
As a purely Rec. Diver (I could not pass the swim test, so there is no point in doing a Fundies class). I regard "reasonable" trim & buoyancy, using an SMB, helicopter turns, teamwork, & "recovering" a "non-responsive" diver as Rec. skills.And yes I regard keeping "diving fit" essential to enjoy my diving.

Genuinely curious: how do you reconcile

with

?

The swim test for GUE-F really doesn't require a high level of fitness. I'd know, I was in terrible shape when I took the class and managed to pass. Fundies actually encouraged me to get in better shape and focus more on my health. My diving (and every day life) has since seen positive consequences.

Some folks just aren't good athletes in certain events. I can (and have) ran 8 miles in just over an hour, do pretty good on the Army PT Test, and enjoy hard workouts but, for myself, swimming is a total chore due to my body's lack of floatiness. I spend more effort trying to keep myself near the waterline and in trim while moving because I naturally am a sinker.

But on to the Fundies swim test: it's entirely doable as I passed it on the first shot (but it took me a good ten minutes to get ready for the breath-hold swim) but not without struggling. In really feel that if I can do it, anyone else can do it.

Peace,
Greg

Further to
Just another thought.
As a purely Rec. Diver (I could not pass the swim test, so there is no point in doing a Fundies class). I regard "reasonable" trim & buoyancy, using an SMB, helicopter turns, teamwork, & "recovering" a "non-responsive" diver as Rec. skills.And yes I regard keeping "diving fit" essential to enjoy my diving.
Thanks for all the helpful comments.I never learnt to swim, (taught myself backstroke in the sea). Despite lessons I cannot do any other stroke, so now I do not bother about swimming. In my wetsuit being in the water is relaxing because I float!
Diving with PADI Tech.50 (dirty word!) Instructors (for fun) makes me admire their skills.But I have no desire to go the PADI route. While I am not paying for Instruction they are happy to give me tips - buddy to buddy, for which I am very gratefull.

The reason most people I know have trouble passing swim tests is they view them as purely endurance events and prepare for them incorrectly. They would be much better off doing short intervals concentrating on proper technique than continuous swimming. Correct technique and muscle memory creates a more efficient swimmer and this is what reduces times. It’s why a good runner can’t translate their endurance to swimming and vice versa.

300m in 14 min. is a very slow pace. We all completed the test in ~11 min. and we were by no means swimming very fast. I was alternating between a freestyle stroke and then going to a breast stroke if I started to get winded.

Perhaps take a look at the book Total Immersion: The Revolutionary Way To Swim Better, Faster, and Easier by Terry Laughlin. It is a good way to help make swimming an efficient skill.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom