Question Rec cold water diver: Single, Double or Sidemount? (focus on safety)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@BlueTrin,

When I first returned to the Midwest US after having spent several years extended range diving deep, Great Lakes shipwrecks using manifolded HP120's, I dove my HP120's here as independent doubles for local, solo dives.

They were "perfect" as ID's--except that they hold way more gas than I needed for the solo recreation profiles I began diving then, they are way too negatively buoyant for wetsuit diving, they are way too heavy out of the water for shore diving, and they are too tall to easily schlep.

But, old-school 72's (71.2 cu ft @ 2,250 psig + 10%) just might hit the sweet spot here as ID's (if I need the gas capacity).

rx7diver

Yea I was scared of mentioning independent here, some people have strong opinions 😂

last time I paired with two randos at my local lake, one of them keep criticising the other for using independent doubles, I was mortified.

Agree with you : independent doubles are a better choice if you cannot reach the manifold.
That’s me in trouble then.
Independent twin 10l on a buddy commando, with one regulator coming over each shoulder. The worst was removing the emergency bottle as it dug in my kidney with the twin cylinders. Didn’t see a pony cylinder setup that worked better for the diving I was doing.

Planning to get 2x8.5l and a BP and wing. Would probably suit the OP better.

Yea I was scared of mentioning independent here, some people have strong opinions 😂

last time I paired with two randos at my local lake, one of them keep criticising the other for using independent doubles, I was mortified.

Agree with you : independent doubles are a better choice if you cannot reach the manifold.
That's how someone ends up with a sliced hose. "Who is wishing they had independent doubles right now?"
SM is just fine for boats, but I have heard that some boats don't allow it.

Personally I've never experienced that. This last summer I was diving in the great lakes from a boat using SM, no problems and no questions asked. In september I dove SM for a week in Cozumel, again no problems. In both cases I did call ahead to make sure it was ok.
Marie is a SM diver, so I'd guess she has had that experience with a dive-charter at some point. If it's their business, such as boat-space, fine. But if it's not their business, then they need to mind their own business.

That's how someone ends up with a sliced hose. "Who is wishing they had independent doubles right now?"
could you please elaborate. I don’t understand how independent doubles ends up with a sliced hose, or maybe I miss read the reply.

could you please elaborate. I don’t understand how independent doubles ends up with a sliced hose, or maybe I miss read the reply.
It's a joke.

(to explain and ruin the joke, the one diver makes fun of the independent doubles-diver. ID-diver then slices the hose of that diver, leaving them OOA, and wishing they had a redundant air supply)

It's a joke.

(to explain and ruin the joke, the one diver makes fun of the independent doubles-diver. ID-diver then slices the hose of that diver, leaving them OOA, and wishing they had a redundant air supply)
My apologies. Don’t think I have been on here long enough yet.
Joke implant ordered.

Marie is a SM diver, so I'd guess she has had that experience with a dive-charter at some point. If it's their business, such as boat-space, fine. But if it's not their business, then they need to mind their own business.
I think she has been at it a good bit longer than me to, so I'm sure she is speaking from experience. I'm just saying there isn't anything inherent about SM that is worse on boats (if you have practiced your donning and doffing). And at least some dive-charters are fine with it.

OK, I will admit I skipped a few pages. As for the OP request...

I would say doubles and take a Fundies class. Not for the tech path that it generally is aimed at. But to better sort yourself out and learn to use the doubles.

Doubles are nice even in warm water dives. A typical 2-tank dive they actually really shine. The first dive is like normal. All the reserve from the first dive now transfers to the second dive. The first dive is for all piratical purposes unlimited reserve (planned reserve, second dive worth of air, and the planned reserve for that dive). Second dive is nearly as good as you should have reserve from the first dive added to the second dive. Double bonus, you don't have to change tanks and rebuild your gear between dives. Win!

SM is just fine for boats, but I have heard that some boats don't allow it.

Personally I've never experienced that. This last summer I was diving in the great lakes from a boat using SM, no problems and no questions asked. In september I dove SM for a week in Cozumel, again no problems. In both cases I did call ahead to make sure it was ok.

When I started learing sidemount, everyone was talking about how it's hard to enter water, you need to kit in water etc etc.
But in reality, two boltsnaps, and properly set up tanks, and you can even giant stride with the tanks attached.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom