Rebreathers and fatalities.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Care to tell us what your talking about?

diverjed once bubbled...
Death and re-breathers.

Lot of that going around.

I hate when people just try and troll up nonsense for threads..

I know of 2 rebreather deaths this year any many more open circuit deaths..

1 of the "rebreather" deaths no one knows what the story is since there is no body, the other death the diver was tangled in his reef hook and ran out of gas...

There was a death on an Azimuth at Willow Springs Park in Pa a few weeks ago....

Waterlover once bubbled...
There was a death on an Azimuth at Willow Springs Park in Pa a few weeks ago....

forgot about that one.. no real details have been posted..

The diver was supposed to be modifying his azimuth for CCR use, not sure if it was done or not.. I would like to know..

... that any and all rebreathers can be dangerous under certain circumstances (eg. such as but not limited to lack of or bad training, complacency, exceeding qualification limits etc). The Azimuth is still a new unit, and there almost was a fatality in Scandinavia already last year. That particular incident was completely due to human error and gross negligence ... :upset:

And just over a month ago, two conscripted Norwegian Navy mine clearance divers passed out on their SIVA 55's whilst on an exercise in Northern Norway. One of the divers was listed as being in a critical condition for several days after the accident, but has apparently fully recovered. Rapid military medical intervention saved the day. That accident is still the subject of a government enquiry, but the SIVA is reputedly an excellent unit and this was apparently a dual unit-accident so it is more likely human error again ...

Of course, we never hear about all the myriad RB dives which run their course without incident, sometimes to great depth.

For example, rebreathers were used by deep safety divers at depths down to 93 metres at the Sony Freediver Open Classic this weekend. No accidents whatsoever. None reported either from the Inspiration Weekend occurring at Plymouth, England at the same time. Just to take the two most recent examples.

Rebreathers are serious tools for serious diving. Not death traps. :box:

I think it's getting time for rebreather manufacturers to dust off and paraphrase the old IANTD Nitrox slogan: If you understood rebreathers, you'd be diving them, too . :tease:

The azimuth death was on a unmodified azimuth, he was scheduled to meet with dave sutton the next week to change it over to a kiss unit, the unit is being investigated by the navy in florida to see if there was a fault in it. He had over 500 dives on this unit.

ALAN243 once bubbled...
The azimuth death was on a unmodified azimuth, he was scheduled to meet with dave sutton the next week to change it over to a kiss unit, the unit is being investigated by the navy in florida to see if there was a fault in it. He had over 500 dives on this unit.

Thanks for the info.. I was wondering if the unit was stock...

Did he have any PO2 monitoring or was he flying it blind??

I was at the LDS today and was told that a fair number of deaths have occured using RBs and occured in a pool during teaching the RB course. Any truth to this my friends?

Back
Top Bottom