Rebreathers and fatalities.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fins wake once bubbled...

Of course, we never hear about all the myriad RB dives which run their course without incident, sometimes to great depth.

For example, rebreathers were used by deep safety divers at depths down to 93 metres at the Sony Freediver Open Classic this weekend. No accidents whatsoever. None reported either from the Inspiration Weekend occurring at Plymouth, England at the same time. Just to take the two most recent examples.

Rebreathers are serious tools for serious diving. Not death traps. :box:

I think it's getting time for rebreather manufacturers to dust off and paraphrase the old IANTD Nitrox slogan: If you understood rebreathers, you'd be diving them, too . :tease:

Absolutely well said, fins!

It is getting so that there are so many scary urban myths about rebreathers that I'm beginning to think they are all inhabited by the spirit of "Jason"!!! Amazing what people will believe without checking it out!:eek:

I didnt realize I had an urban myth about me...I dont even have one minute logged on a rebreather.

As a troll, in hibernation for the moment, I cant believe you people are biting this post. This person probably spent a total of 30 seconds in this forum when he made that post, doesnt know a damn thing about rebreathers and just had an impulse to stir up trouble. Trust me on this..I know from experience.

On a side note, that guy Dave Sutton, he is either a genious or an accident waiting to happen. Some crazy stuff on his website...maybe it is just my own ignorance, but that guy gives me the creeps.

I'll take my hat off to him though...he seems really intelligent and knows his way around a rebreather, and he also seems to be loaded in $$$..not that that means anything, but all it takes is one f up. He is still alive isnt he?

:confused:

BigJetDriver69 once bubbled...
Sorry, Jason! I meant the other "Jason" in the movies with the white hockey mask!:wink:

What hockey mask? You mean to say Jepuskar didn't get an odd looking FFM ??? There is another one out there ??? :wacko:

On a side note, that guy Dave Sutton, he is either a genious or an accident waiting to happen. Some crazy stuff on his website...maybe it is just my own ignorance, but that guy gives me the creeps.

I don't know Dave personally, but judging from his excellent site and from his judicious remarks on various lists, I'd say he's definitely not an accident waiting to happen. I know a few similar guys this side of the pond, and their knowledge of rebreathers is mainly unparallelled.

Homebuilders have this "dodgy" rep on certain non-RB lists, as if they're a cross between Walter Mitty, Heath Robinson and McGyver, but in reality they know rebreather designs and philosophy so well they can build them themselves. They're usually safer than other rebreather users. I learn a lot from them. (I couldn't build my own from scratch, I have to admit. :help: )

Usually it's the non-RB list "fun-pokers" themselves - whom I guess you're quoting? - who don't have a clue. :dunce:

That said, I don't personally subscribe to Dave's Inspiration sensor theory and modification, but hey, he's free to post it and that apart his site makes a lot of sense. :)

not that that means anything, but all it takes is one f up. He is still alive isnt he?
Yup, all it takes may be one mistake, but Dave is less likely than many to make them. And yes, he was still alive as by this morning ... :wink:

jepuskar once bubbled...

I'll take my hat off to him though...he seems really intelligent and knows his way around a rebreather, and he also seems to be loaded in $$$..not that that means anything, but all it takes is one f up. He is still alive isnt he?

He emailed me yesterday so. Yep, still alive...

He doesn't believe in risking anything on RB's he builds. He is absolutely anal about safety. But then again, he's alive. He has been diving since he was little. Own's Many different old Military RB's. And dives them.

That's why you see PPO2 monitors on his RB's. And usually a VR3. He believes in the time tested designs. If you notice. All his conversions go back to the KISS method. You watch your butt yourself. You don't rely on electronics. You have to have a manual bailout.

And yea, You don't have your own 101 starfighter and be hurting for scratch....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom