Rebreather fatality list, what’s happened to it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Well fortunately the rEvo RMS system has been extensively tested and found to be very effective, but WTF would I know I only have 800hrs on my rEvo.
How often has the RMS been broken during these 800hrs? Do you need the RMS to decide when the sorb has to be changed?

How often has the RMS been broken during these 800hrs? Do you need the RMS to decide when the sorb has to be changed?
In fairness the rms is not an excuse to not change lime after the manufacturer stipulated hours, it’s purely to give the user an indication of if it’s being overworked and has potential for breakthrough,
I do know of a couple of rEvo users that have seen it decrease quickly whilst working and then increase in time left once they start decompressing and taking things easier.
But I stick to my guns with what I said before,,, I seem to remember issues with the sentinel and red bare with regard Co2 sensor issues, I’d rather have no information than false…

Well fortunately the rEvo RMS system has been extensively tested and found to be very effective, but WTF would I know I only have 800hrs on my rEvo.
I have RMS on my Revo. It's useful information but... Aside from the one complete RMS sensor failure, I find that it's not so reliable when on a scooter in cold water as it sometimes reads zero scrubber time left. I stop, check myself for hypercapnia and nothing. After a while the RMS shows 3h or more left on the scrubber.

This might be a fault on one of the scrubber sensors as it's a bit inconclusive -- never does this to order.

I interpret the RMS as being a rough guide as to how much has been consumed and that it's unlikely to go from 3+h down to 0 instantaneously.

I use the RMS conservatively. It's additional info.

I most certainly wouldn't decide on cycling scrubbers based on the RMS alone.

Have 330hrs on the Revo.

If you actually read my post you'll see I was talking about galvanic oxygen cells (which are functionally temperature compensated batteries) not the RMS system which is definitely not a voltage-current producing battery at all.

In fairness the rms is not an excuse to not change lime after the manufacturer stipulated hours,
As I was instructed during my MOD 1 I follow the procedures to change sorb following the rMs, ie if don't have enough scrubber time for the next dive based on the rMs I change the scrubber for that dive. I get well above the manufacturer stipulated hours from a canister using the rMs, typically and extra hour out of a canister, when I head to Bali next week I will get close to double that time,
I had issues with rMs in the early days with 13 probes replaced under warranty in the first 3 years I had my unit, in the past 5 years the system has been rock solid. I don't need the rMs to decide when sorb has to be changed, but is a terrific tool to extend the time and get the most out of a canister.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom