Question Rebreather divers in the EU (not UK due to Brexit) what units do you dive and where do you get your unit serviced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pathfinder.
The only real service is in Uk, and since i'm in Croatia if I ship something there and get it back the postal service will charge the tax and import it like it's a new item.
I'm seriously considering switching to a JJ just because the service can be done in EU.

Pathfinder.
The only real service is in Uk, and since i'm in Croatia if I ship something there and get it back the postal service will charge the tax and import it like it's a new item.
I'm seriously considering switching to a JJ just because the service can be done in EU.
Yeah, that's why getting service outside of the EU, UK included, is a no go.

(..)

I mean training/servicing. Not worried about gasses or sorb. I'll have my own dive center, and I will have trimix available for rebreather divers only. It is a waste of money for OC, and being on an island, the logistical complexity of getting gas makes me have that hard rule. I know some people won't like it. They can go down the street.

Plenty of instructors on most of major units, even some US specific like O2ptima. Plus others who can fly around wherever. Servicing, well , all the EU manufactured ones will be around, AP diving has its EU branch so no need to bother with UK shipping. Plus the little, unknown shops/workshops mentioned, ones that are unfortunately hard to find as often websites are non existent...guess they are more "word of mouth" known in a given community/language. Narked@90 is a pretty known one but now its on the other side of the fence now...though one can still service things there, they are pretty well versed in customs/import/export things :wink:
I am diving O2ptima CM, and while servicing wont be any time soon, plan is either to fly in on some el cheapo off season flight to US, give it to a carrier mule who happens to fly over there, ask Narked@90, or pull the below and ship back to US or just DYI ;]

Pathfinder.

You need to ship it as temporary export for repair outside EU. Receiver in UK will have to pay customs/UK VAT on entry, but they will be able to reclaim it (best if they are pre-registered for such scheme). On the way back item is just sent as return from repair, no customs etc is levied in EU since item is counted as originating from here and only temporarily exported. However if repair/servicing wont be claimed as "in warranty" (no charge) you will still be liable for VAT (but shouldnt then pay UK one)/customs for the cost of the servicing +shipping, but not the unit itself.
That is how one can for example still service Shearwater in UK and not pay a penny in customs...Other than that Eurostar can be a pretty cheap way to carry things but gotta be a bit closer to the channel :wink:

Plenty of instructors on most of major units, even some US specific like O2ptima. Plus others who can fly around wherever. Servicing, well , all the EU manufactured ones will be around, AP diving has its EU branch so no need to bother with UK shipping. Plus the little, unknown shops/workshops mentioned, ones that are unfortunately hard to find as often websites are non existent...guess they are more "word of mouth" known in a given community/language. Narked@90 is a pretty known one but now its on the other side of the fence now...though one can still service things there, they are pretty well versed in customs/import/export things :wink:
I am diving O2ptima CM, and while servicing wont be any time soon, plan is either to fly in on some el cheapo off season flight to US, give it to a carrier mule who happens to fly over there, ask Narked@90, or pull the below and ship back to US or just DYI ;]
Not too worried about instructors, more about service. AP Diving looks like they have a good situation AP Diving | European Shipping with their site in Netherlands and simplification of shipping.

Maybe a rEvo would suit your requirements, will never need to go back to the factory, all replacement parts are plug and play, just needs to go to a service centre (which I am sure there are plenty in Europe) for a service every 5 years, should you choose to.

Kosta hates Revos with their dual scrubbers, dual electronics, five cells, manual background, only two loop hoses, enclosed lungs and made in the European Union (waves flag 🇪🇺, hums Beethoven's 9th, salutes towards Brussels 🤘)

:cool:

@Wibble

LOL, no hate on the Revos, I have friends with them. I just think the 5-cell is excessive. I don't share the same animosity towards Revos as some folks do. The one other thing, and I don't want to start a sh!tstorm, is how easy BM units will be set up with a SM bailout unit. Yes, I know I am a long ways off from that, but OC bailout is going to be problematic for some expeditions. I know most people can't relate, say it is unnecessary. The people who will train me in Europe get it.

I thought the JJ is very popular in the EU? That's what my buddy there uses...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom