Rebreather accident in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Word of this had hit North Florida yesterday morning. My dive buddy at home called me out in Valencia California and told me the unconfirmed news. All day, all last night and all day during my flights back to the east coast I couldn't believe that this happened to my instructor. He was so meticulous. I was thinking that lord if it had been him, perhaps it was a heart attack or something non-rig induced.

Mike was a great guy and instructor. He will be missed by the diving / rebreather community. My condolences go to his family.

I for one will be awaiting for any reports so that we all can fully learn one more lesson Mike did not have to teach.

Jim
Atlantic Beach, FL

All,
The answers given here are all true to the text book, but for the record I teach my CCR students that there will be no symptoms, you will be dead. There are dead divers who wish they had been given a warning symptom. Waiting until you’re sick or about to pass out and then reacting is not the answer, although we train for all these possibilities. This applies to hyperoxia and hypercapnia as well. The point is PREVENTION. Follow every step of your assembly and pre-dive checklists, and do your A.B.C.'s before splashing on EVERY dive. Be diligent in monitoring your system.
That being said Mr. Murphy loves divers so review and practice your bailout skills, both for open circuit and semi-closed often...CCR divers have more options than OC divers.

I would like to thank everybody today for all of the e mails and calls I have received and would like to extend my special thanks to Richie Kohler who called me today and asked how he could help. Richie e mailed many of his friends and told them about the Mike Riopel benefit fund that we have set up at compass bank to help his family. Many of you have already responded and his family is very grateful. I now see that Mike has many more friends than I thought. Im sure that he touched each of us in a different way. I met him about 4 years ago when I came up with a wild idea that I wanted to teach diving. I picked a diveshop at random and signed up for a divemaster class. In that class I met Mike. We right away became friends. I moved to the Keys to work full time for one of the dive operations in Islamorada and Mike continued his education, teaching and becoming a rebreather instructor. We had 4 of the best years together any friend could ever ask for with him coming down to the keys and myself coming up to Jax to dive and help each other teach. The latest picture of Mike that I know exists was sent to me by Richie from an expedition Mike attended where he found his treasure under the water. It was a silver spoon. If you saw the pic of him holding it it was worth a million to him. If anybody would like a copy please e mail me at joestilley@bellsouth.net and I will be happy to send one.

Please take a minute to read the following and if you knew Mike as many of you did I think the following words will have a great meaning to you.

In Loving Memory of Mike Riopel
August 10, 1955 Through March 15, 2008

An unfortunate accident on Saturday March 15, 2008 claimed the life of our dear friend Mike Riopel. Mike helped everyone he met in life and did not have a selfish bone in his body. Since his death there is an empty place in my heart that passed away with him but there is also a part of my heart that will never forget him, it is filled with great memories and I am a better person from knowing him. Mike will be greatly missed and the world is a much better place because he was in it.

All,
The answers given here are all true to the text book, but for the record I teach my CCR students that there will be no symptoms, you will be dead. There are dead divers who wish they had been given a warning symptom. Waiting until you’re sick or about to pass out and then reacting is not the answer, although we train for all these possibilities. This applies to hyperoxia and hypercapnia as well. The point is PREVENTION. Follow every step of your assembly and pre-dive checklists, and do your A.B.C.'s before splashing on EVERY dive. Be diligent in monitoring your system.
That being said Mr. Murphy loves divers so review and practice your bailout skills, both for open circuit and semi-closed often...CCR divers have more options than OC divers.

Richie,

Since you are one of the most q-fied on these rebreathers, why do you think we are having these accidents?

Thanks

Hey Jim,

I think I might have helped out mike teaching you when you did your class. Let me know My name is Joe Stilley

Sorry about off topic posting

This is truly a sad event. after reading the questions posted and the whole concept goin through my mind I just renewed that DAN membership i've been waiting on doing.

Back
Top Bottom