Rebreather accident in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Generally we all play Monday morning quarterback and say (in hindsight) that "I would have done this or that given the situation" but we neglect to factor the panic that almost always stops logical thought in its tracks, and derails us from self rescue. We cannot factor that into our water cooler assessments unless you’re the one believing your seconds from death. The ability to stave off panic, logically access, and correct the problem is developed by training, realistic drills and experience. The best answer is to prevent the problem from starting by due diligence in assembly, planning and maintenance but since Murphy loves divers, we must to train for and keep our self rescue skills sharp, whether its bailing out, shutting down, or turning on.

This is so beautifully said that it deserved to be quoted.

First of all, my prayers go out to Mike and his family at this time. He was a great guy to know and I am glad that I got to know him not only as an instructor or co-worker but as a friend. You will be missed Mike.

-Daniel

I am posting a couple links here reguarding my brothers death. One is the obituary link with guest book, one is a forum created on this site and the last one is a forum from another diving forum. Thank you to all of you who have shared your stories and given your condolences.

Sincerely,
Rione Riopel-Landgraf

http://www.legacy.com/TimesUnion/DeathNotices.asp?Page=LifeStory&PersonID=106021524

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/passings/225285-mike-riopel-memorial-thread.html

Rebreather Diving Accident, Pompano, Florida - Page 3 - Rebreather World

My nephew, Mike son, has told me that somebody (we know who) has been trying to collect on Michaels death. I just havent seen a post, can you give me any information on where she may be asking money or do you have a contact email or number? ...I'd like to have a word with her.

Rione Riopel-Landgraf

rione_mail@yahoo.com

My nephew, Mike son, has told me that somebody (we know who) has been trying to collect on Michaels death. I just havent seen a post, can you give me any information on where she may be asking money or do you have a contact email or number? ...I'd like to have a word with her.

Rione Riopel-Landgraf

rione_mail@yahoo.com

That is just sickening. Personally, I looked through the two threads and see nothing.

Good evening all. Mike was laid to rest today. The funeral service was a celibration of his life which included words from his friends and family. It was a very emotional time for everyone We closed with a slide show presentation full of pictures with family, friends and of course plenty of scuba pictures. The funeral was hosted by Paster Steve of the Jacksonville Life Church. And my special thanks go out to many of the members who cooked an unbelievable meal, decorated a conference room with tablecloths, flowers. Ladies thank you from the bottom of my heart. I hope all of you that knew Mike or heard of him will always remember his unselfish deminer and the way he cared and befriended everybody he met. He will be greatly missed and on that note I will close. Food for thought. If we all take the time to befriend someone and have a caring heart like our friend Big Mike, this world would be a much better place.

I love you my friend. Rest in peace..............

Rione Riopel-Landgraf

rione_mail@yahoo.com
I haven't seen such activity; if I had, I would have reported it to the Moderators here for swift action. If such has happened on SB, it was probly done in Private Messages - which can be forwarded to any Moderator. Police assistance might be indicated, but I don't know the particulars - only a thot.

My best wishes on your grieving and recovery from you loss...

Unfortunately, she came and took Brock. He is the adopted son of Michael and Tami, the previous sad excuse of a wife. I know it isn't right to downtalk people, especially in times like these, but Tami is only out to collect on the money that MIke had set up for Brock. He is only 12 and I'm sure he is very hurt, upset and confused by all of this. Sadly, there are adults in this world that give no reguard to anyone other than themselves and would even go as far as taking a child out of his comfort zone for financial gain. You see as far as we know, whoever has the child gets the $$$. Nice lady huh? Of course we dont know all of the specifications on the trust and hopefully she won't get control of it. Anyway, as always, thank you all for your concern and sincere responses. Mike was a great person whose personality attracted equally wonderful people. Thank you.

Rione Riopel-Landgraf

As per another thread on the Board, the value of an updated Last Will and Testament that includes requirements for children's welfare and declaration of Guardians cannot be over-stressed.

(I am not saying this is not the case here, just a fitting time to mention it.)

With Best Regards
Richard (Riger)

Just a caution if I you will excuse this....

This is the largest scuba message board there is, and all of these posts are open to anyone to read, so personal information posted does include some risk. If you cannot edit info out that you would like to remove, you can PM a Mod for help.

Back
Top Bottom