Rebreather accident in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am terribly sadened to learn this news. Our Compadre was a good guy. God Speed.

horrible news

can anyone describe the effects and symptons of hypoxia on a unit? meaning as a non-rebreather diver what would i be seeing in my rebreather buddy if this was to occur? not meaning to discuss this particular case but reactions in general??

thanks

horrible news

can anyone describe the effects and symptons of hypoxia on a unit? meaning as a non-rebreather diver what would i be seeing in my rebreather buddy if this was to occur? not meaning to discuss this particular case but reactions in general??

thanks

In my first entry level CCR certification class I was told "you just go to sleep and die a very peaceful death."

The Boris has a big ppO2 reading for all to see. Great feature.

horrible news

thanks

Mostly, hypoxic CCR divers just pass out and drown. It shouldn't happen, because there are many different safety features designed to alert the diver to hypoxia, but it does happen.

If, for example, a diver were to notice a low P02 in the loop, for whatever reason, and their first reaction was to ascend, they might just pass out and drown....a breathable P02 at 20-30 feet might not be enough to keep you conscious all the way back to the surface.......

horrible news

thanks

Signs and Symptoms

- Un-coordination
- Euphoria, over confidence
- Fatique, headache, blurred vision
- inability to think clearly
- unconsciousness and death

As you can see difficult for a buddy to determine. The CCR diver following a predive checklist before each dive is the preventative measure covered in the CCR certification course.

Also, depending upon the type of electronics there might be different type of alarms to alert the CCR diver that a low O2 condition exists.

John

horrible news

thanks
Perhaps this may help...
From: Aviators Breathing Oxygen... Page 5 Hyperventilation or hypoxia effects and symptoms. Nitrogen Considerations
The most common symptoms are dizziness; hot and cold sensations, tingling of the lips and hands, legs, and feet; rapid heart rate; blurring of vision; muscle spasms; sleepiness; and finally unconsciousness.
I'm afriad that some of those would be difficult to notice on a dive, and some of the others would challenge troubleshooting of technical equipment - but I am not rebreather trained.

True, there may be symptoms of hypo/ hyper oxia, but more than likely, there won't be any......these things can happen pretty quickly, especially in the case of a rapid ascent, as I mentioned above. There should be plenty of indicators from the equipment, alerting the diver to a high or low P02, but physical symptoms? The first symptoms are often unconsciousness, covulsions, things like that. If you want to be a good buddy to your CCR friend, ask them to explain their unit to you, and how they want to be rescued.

i did know the answer to my question but asked it anyways as a way to get more info out to the non unit divers as the technology is becoming so popular now and unit divers are not as uncommon as they use to be so thank you for answering

...... If you want to be a good buddy to your CCR friend, ask them to explain their unit to you, and how they want to be rescued.
hubby has the MEG and i watch his HUD...... those flashing lights speaks volumes to me!

i did know the answer to my question but asked it anyways as a way to get more info out to the non unit divers as the technology is becoming so popular now and unit divers are not as uncommon as they use to be so thank you for answering

hubby has the MEG and i watch his HUD...... those flashing lights speaks volumes to me!

I was also going to say watch the HUD. It's a great way to know what's happening with the diver. Units like the Boris and the Cis Lunar MK 5 have buddy lights. Smart idea.

X

p.s. Condolences on the passing of the Optima diver. Very sad.

In talking with my boyfriend about his rebreather and getting ready to dive with him after I'm certified he told me a few things about observing a CCR diver. HUDs can be very difficult to read in ambient light conditions. On night dives or in very dark conditions he says the HUD is very noticable but very difficult otherwise. This may or may not be true for other rebreathers. He dives a MEG.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom