Rebreather accident in South Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This very interesting video of a rebreather diver having a CO2 hit show what the similar symptoms might look like to others. Fortunately this diver survived, and there is an analysis of the incident and recommendations for rebreather divers at the end of the video.

CO2: The rebreather incident

Yep. Hypercapnia (excessive CO2) is very different from hypo/hyper oxia. Great vid- it's been a staple on rebreatherworld, and a lot of other sites. It should be shown to every single CCR student during their training, IMO.

Low P02 seems to be the #1 killer of CCR divers, for several different reasons that I won't get into here. From what little is known about the death in question, it looks like it's the culprit here, too.

Still waiting to hear whether or not the family has been notified. There has been no publication from the media, although there were a few news vans dockside. Local authorities may still be conducting their investigation.

I'm sure there will be discussion about this accident once things are wrapped up. There are some 'knowns' or 'facts' that will shed some light, but I will allow the appropriate people make those posts. While many of us on this dive trip were casual friends or aquaintences of the diver, only a few were involved with the diver during and after the accident. In all fairness to the diver, his family, and the responders, and the investigators, these people, if they so choose, should be the ones to post the facts that they feel might help others learn from from this accident.

This is a repost from "Scubadadmiami" on Rebreatherworld

On Saturday, March 15, 2008, my friend and colleague, Mike Riopel lost his life while on a CCR dive off of Pompano Beach, Florida.

I first met Mike at the Rebreather World 2006 party. He also attended the party in 2007. We have exchanged email and PM's over time, always trying to find the chance to dive with one another. We had hoped to dive together during the Rebreather World Post DEMA 2007 Dive to the Hydro Atlantic, and this dive canceled due to poor weather.

We finally had the chance to start diving together as Optima instructor candidates. Mike was a very thorough, dedicated and considerate diver and instructor, and we became good friends over the short time that we got to know each other better. During this time, we worked together between sessions, sharing information and experiences as we went over our hurdles on the way to becoming Optima instructors.

Mike spent his last day with several of us on a Florida S.C.R.U.B. dive outing, a fun dive on the wreck of the Guy Harvey. Everyone was talking and sharing stories together on the boat before gearing up for the dive, and it was the first chance many in our group had to meet Mike. He got along well with everyone right from the start.

Again due to Mike's dedication, he buddied up with a newly certified Optima diver to lend his experience while his buddy expanded his diving horizons on what I believe was his first wreck dive past his intitial training dives. Mike's last full dive was a great and enjoyable one.

We will miss you, Mike.

COmmercial Boat or Private Boat?????????

Any news of the cause? I heard a story, but wanted to get from the horse's mouth so to speak.

I have spoken with a friend of Mike's, and his family has been notified. At this point it seems that any factual information that is beneficial to the dive community could be posted and discussed.

It was on a commercial boat charter, during the beginning of the second dive, and the crew and some fellow divers still on the boat, reacted and performed in a very professional and commendable manner. Their first responder efforts, under very difficult conditions, were by the book and in the best interest of the victim.

Mike Riopel will be missed dearly by his fellow divers.

Mike, may you rest in peace, and to your wife and children, my heartfelt condolences.

To everybody that has posted comments about the death of the diver in South Florida this weekend please let me at this time give everybody some information. I am a close friend of the diver who's name is Mike Riopel. At this time I cant give out much info other than the incident happened on the second dive and in 60 feet of water. Mike was a rebreather instructor and was diving with another open water instructor who was rebreather certified. Mike is from Jacksonville and the family has made funeral arrangements for this friday, I am not sure where or the time. Mike's friends have set up a trust to help his family with expenses. Anybody that feels compelled may make a donation in his memory at any Compass bank location in the name of the Mike Riopel Benefit Fund. If you wish to contact the bank directly you may contact Compass Bank
9550 San Jose Blvd
Jacksonville, FL 32257
904-564-8188

Thank you for all the kind words and thoughts and we will keep everybody informed as we get more information.

Back
Top Bottom