Reasonably priced Dive Knife Suggestions for a newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here is a list of ideas for you. Some of them are quite cheap:

Best Dive Knives ? Dive Gear Reviews

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if you guys can give me a few suggestions for dive knives, as I'm just starting out and my dive master made it very clear to my class how vital the dive knife is to a diver (he credited it with saving his life at least once). It seems some people say you don't need them, but I'd prefer to have one and not need it than need one and not have it...

Anyways- I am looking for a dive knife that would ideally be under $40. I want a knife that wont rust easily, and is made very well. I see tons on Amazon and the like, but as a wrist watch enthusiast I know that searching on Amazon or ebay doesnt give you the best of the best for your price range, so I'm hoping you guys can point me towards the best option!

Thanks for your help, and please excuse anything I may have said that was stupid or redundant-- I'm new to diving!

-Max

Great advice in this thread. I just picked up the Winoka squeeze, Eezycut, and EMT shears. All x2 for my wife. Total cost = USD 134.70 on Amazon. That's less than the titanium knife I had my eye on before reading this thread.

I just ordered a Spyderco Salt-I knife off Amazon; just over $60 with Prime for free shipping.

I've used 2 stainless steel dive knives, and by the time they rust up because I don't meticulously stay on top of rinsing & drying, that path does not lead to saving money.

Be mindful that Spyderco, a strong brand name in knives, sells a large array of knives, made from different materials. For scuba diving, you specifically want one of their products made with H1, a steel intended to be quite strong but also rust-proof.

I've never used a Trilobite, but I read good things about them on this forum, as others have reported above.

Richard.

why do you need a knife ? not mandatory, dont find any use UW

Hear around Jax a lot of divers have knives on them because Spearfishing is so prevalent. They use it to quickly kill the fish if the spear didn't do that.

Thanks, Richard. If I decide later that I'd rather have a folding knife (or just another knife), that seems like a good choice.

why do you need a knife ? not mandatory, dont find any use UW

What agency does require some type of cutting device while diving? The main use underwater is to cut yourself lose from an entanglement.

---------- Post added June 9th, 2013 at 04:51 AM ----------

Hear around Jax a lot of divers have knives on them because Spearfishing is so prevalent. They use it to quickly kill the fish if the spear didn't do that.

Usually that is a different kind of knife, one that is thin with a very sharp point.

Hey guys,

I am just wondering if you guys can give me a few suggestions for dive knives, as I'm just starting out and my dive master made it very clear to my class how vital the dive knife is to a diver (he credited it with saving his life at least once). It seems some people say you don't need them, but I'd prefer to have one and not need it than need one and not have it...

Anyways- I am looking for a dive knife that would ideally be under $40. I want a knife that wont rust easily, and is made very well. I see tons on Amazon and the like, but as a wrist watch enthusiast I know that searching on Amazon or ebay doesnt give you the best of the best for your price range, so I'm hoping you guys can point me towards the best option!

Thanks for your help, and please excuse anything I may have said that was stupid or redundant-- I'm new to diving!

-Max

what you will find out over time is that you need 2 cutting implements, realistically something small like a z-knife placed on you BCD where either arm can get to it easily.

I wear a z-knife on my right shoulder strap and one on my left waist band. this way even if 1 arm is trapped I can still get to a knife to free my self from an entanglement. don't invest in a pointy Rambo knife. it's just going to get you hurt.

if you spear fish, put a kill package on your gun and leave the Rambo knives to the Navy Seals.

also don't be a fool and put a knife on your leg or arm, it becomes an Entanglement hazard. keep in the BC triangle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Both my wife and I have a trilobite very small and easy to find a place to put it on the BCD. I also have a stash place for shears, though she doesn't. I picked up this knife http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0018X2CZY/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
point blade because it has other field uses for me, not just diving. That said I dulled the pointy end enough so it won't stick me.

I don't get the entanglement hazard DM-Tom mentions - seems to me all our hanging gear ie cameras, regs, slung bottles etc is an entanglement hazard of one sort or an other. Not sure how a knife on the inside of calf is an issue......

I am also a big fan of the EEzycut Trilobites. I even have them on student rental rigs. And you cant beat the price.

Happy Diving!
Elena

Back
Top Bottom