Reason To Make Bag Drag from Cancun to Cozumel for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Didn't they have some success in cornering the lime market in Mexico a few years ago?
That would be a trick with a tree in every backyard.

Didn't they have some success in cornering the lime market in Mexico a few years ago?

Didn't hear about that one, but I suspect they put out the contract on the agave cactus to drive up the price of tequila.

Get off the plane... walk on airport property to the bus... ride the express bus to PDC... weave your way through throngs of tourists for a couple of blocks... jump on the ferry... arrive Cozumel. Cheat death once again!

That would be a trick with a tree in every backyard.
The trees in backyards don't supply food markets or export to other countries. But I'm not pushing it as fact, just something I heard, and I was asking if anyone heard it as well. Maybe not.

EDIT: But I didn't imagine it. From a 2014 article in The Washington Post:

...the Templarios moved from illegally taxing agricultural output to actually exerting direct control over agricultural production. In a recent interview published in the Mexican magazine Nexos, the founder of the self-defense groups explains:

[The Templarios] started to take over lime farms, many times illegally, without papers, or buying them with drug-trafficking money, and in numerous occasions at the price they would set: ‘I will give this much for your land, and if you don’t accept it, I will pass the money to your widow’. Then, they started regulating the lime-picking season: you couldn’t pick limes certain days of the week [and] packing companies would only receive limes from farms owned [or controlled] by the Templarios.

In retrospect, it is not surprising to find news reports about the extortion of lime producers by drug cartels. For example, in April last year, 13 lime producers and pickers were killed after asking government authorities to improve security conditions in lime growing areas. They accused the Templarios of closing packing plants and some lime farms, which, according to the press at the time, resulted in higher lime prices.

I've seen the day when I couldn't buy a banana on Coz, but never a lime shortage.

The trees in backyards don't supply food markets or export to other countries. But I'm not pushing it as fact, just something I heard, and I was asking if anyone heard it as well. Maybe not.

EDIT: But I didn't imagine it. From a 2014 article in The Washington Post:

...the Templarios moved from illegally taxing agricultural output to actually exerting direct control over agricultural production. In a recent interview published in the Mexican magazine Nexos, the founder of the self-defense groups explains:

[The Templarios] started to take over lime farms, many times illegally, without papers, or buying them with drug-trafficking money, and in numerous occasions at the price they would set: ‘I will give this much for your land, and if you don’t accept it, I will pass the money to your widow’. Then, they started regulating the lime-picking season: you couldn’t pick limes certain days of the week [and] packing companies would only receive limes from farms owned [or controlled] by the Templarios.

In retrospect, it is not surprising to find news reports about the extortion of lime producers by drug cartels. For example, in April last year, 13 lime producers and pickers were killed after asking government authorities to improve security conditions in lime growing areas. They accused the Templarios of closing packing plants and some lime farms, which, according to the press at the time, resulted in higher lime prices.

I can't say that this is much of a surprise considering that limes are about as common as tortillas. It has crossed my mind that scuba diving could be a target as well, as unlikely as it may be.

As far as I can tell there is no word in Spanish for lime--they are called limon verde, i.e. green lemon.

Four kinds of limes (limones) and lemons (limones reales) are sold in the supermarkets and fruit stands in Cozumel. They are:

1. The citrus hybrid Citrus x Aurantifolia, a.k.a. “Key lime” a.k.a. “West Indies lime” and called limón mexicano in Mexico. Below:

2keylime.jpg

2. The citrus hybrid Citrus x Latifolia, a.k.a. “Persian lime” that is the ubiquitous, large green lime in the US and is called limón in Cozumel. Below:

2-8.jpg

3. The citrus hybrid Citrus x Limon, a.k.a. “lemon” in the US but called limón real in Cozumel. Not always in stock on Cozumel, but available in Playa del Carmen. Below:

imagesDO5N5CI9.jpg

4. Then there is the lima, or lima dulce, the citrus hybrid Citrus x Limetta, which is not as popular in Cozumel, but can occasionally be found. Below:

10362.jpg

I remember when due to a shortage of limes the price doubled here.
Supposedly the price increase was because of the cartels actions
as described in the article posted by Gordon. One lime still costs 38 cents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom