Reason To Make Bag Drag from Cancun to Cozumel for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

George Monnat Jr

Divemaster (DM)
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
From this article:

GRAPHIC — Cancun Wraps 2018 with At Least 540 Homicides

Local Homicide Cases Per Year

2018 — 540 (as of December 28)

2017 — 227

2016 — 61

2015 — 37

2014 — 21

The ongoing violence is attributed to the cartel wars between the CJNG, Los Zetas, Gulf, and independent groups loyal to the Sinaloa Cartel.

And why are they feuding there? Because tourists want drugs. The same thing is happening in cozumel. If there werent people wanting drugs there wouldnt be any of this. A vendor in coz can sell 500 pesos worth of pot for 2000 to cruisers. That adds up and the cartels see it.

And why are they feuding there? Because tourists want drugs. The same thing is happening in cozumel. If there werent people wanting drugs there wouldnt be any of this. A vendor in coz can sell 500 pesos worth of pot for 2000 to cruisers. That adds up and the cartels see it.

It seems like the potential customers are very easy to recognize too.

I"m not understanding why this is entitled "Reason to Make Bag Drag..." Are you suggesting that the typical bag drag is now unsafe? I think the only people who ever approached me trying to sell me something during the bag drag trip were guys with tricycles wanting to haul my luggage, or people selling ferry tickets.

I think OP is trying to say people should forego Cancun and bag drag to dive in Cozumel, where it is safer. That’s just my interpretation. I could be completely wrong.

These are alarming numbers, and I never take crime, murder or cartel activity lightly. But this "graphic" does not take the entire picture into account and is way out of context, even after reading the article and seeing the source. The official census population in Cancun is pushing 650,000 and I would put money that the real population is closer to 750,000. Check violent crime rates of US cities of the same or similar size - or heck, even smaller cities with higher per capita violent crime.

I don't deny that there is a turf war going on in Cancun - but it's going on between "them" and mostly in areas where tourists will never see. Unlike the random gang violence, mass shootings and violent crime in the US, the cartel's are "big business" and they know where the money is, so even they make their best efforts to keep the violence out of the tourist areas. These "mass shootings" and "shoot outs" we've heard about in Cancun have not involved tourists or even innocent bystander that I have seen - and again, they are between the cartels or people who have somehow crossed them. I am not in any way defending or condoning this AT ALL - just sharing the reality.

COULD an innocent bystander get caught in crossfire at some point? Sure it could happen - but the chances of it happening in Cancun are no greater than it happening in Chicago, St. Louis, Houston, Dallas, Milwaukee,Minneapolis, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Miami, or any town USA. Even less likely on the commute from the airport to the ferry terminal in Playa del Carmen. Statistically, I would be willing to bet that the chances are lower of getting caught in crossfire in Cancun than a man or woman walking into a school or a mall or a concert and INTENTIONALLY opening fire on INNOCENT people in any town USA. I say I would be willing to bet, because I don't have actual statistics, but I do know that there are mass shootings in the USA almost DAILY in small towns and big cities. And don't even get me started on popular European destinations like Paris, Amsterdam, etc.

Mass Shootings | Gun Violence Archive

So is there cartel violence and has violent crime increased in Cancun? Yes, without a doubt - but it's not random crime, tourists and innocent victims are not the targets, and when put into perspective, it's really no more dangerous that where you (collectively speaking) live.

As with ANYWHERE, be aware of your surroundings, keep an eye on your personal belongings, don't make yourself a target of petty theft or crime, don't seek out drugs, don't rip off a drug dealer, don't piss off a drug dealer, treat people with love and compassion no matter what, and enjoy your vacation! I am a person of strong faith, and I don't try to control outcomes - that is God's job. My job is to take life on life's terms as it is presented to me and be the best person I can be each day - I'm not always perfect at that, but I work on it all the time. So I have peace knowing that in the unlikely event I am a victim of violent crime here or anywhere, then that is part of God's plan for me - whether it is to teach me something or to take me Home, that's not up to me if I'm living the cleanest life I can.

Again, just to be CLEAR before people try to accuse me of being biased or trying to "protect" tourism - (first of all horse crap to that) - I am not denying increased violent crime or cartel activity in Cancun or Playa etc. - but I am putting it into perspective - and I am sharing my opinions and knowledge as a citizen of Mexico and as a single female resident/business owner. Out of prudence, I have taken some extra security measures in the past couple of years that I never did here before. I no longer walk at night by myself back "in the hood" - but I do still walk by myself at night in town and along the waterfront. I have added a security system and exterior cameras on my house as preventative measures for home invasions. I don't ride around on my bike or moped with my purse dangling, I lock my car and the doors on my house. I also do ALL of these things when I am in Austin or Minneapolis.

EDIT: In an article published today in Por Esto, 25 million passengers traveled through Cancun airport so far in 2018 without any reported incidents of violent crime. In December alone, 563 flights - 359 international and 204 national

Enjoy your vacation - live in awareness, but not fear!

And why are they feuding there? Because tourists want drugs.
It would be foolish to say that zero tourists want drugs, but I think your statement misses at least as much as it's on target.

The explosive growth of tourism along the entirety of the Riviera Maya has brought in hundreds of thousands of workers. 20,000 people might disembark cruise ships on any given day in Cozumel, but to the extent that some of those are potential targets for the drug pushers, those folks are gone before the end of the day. The market among the workers (at whatever the percentage is that use recreational drugs) represents repeat customers and growing market.

Check violent crime rates of US cities of the same or similar size - or heck, even smaller cities with higher per capita violent crime.
When Eric read the statistics to me, from another source, I wondered the same thing. I guessitimated Charlotte as roughly the same population so did a comparison, Turns out I was right about the comparative populations but not even close on the homicide count.

Then checked Raleigh, even less. Then nation wide. Seems you have to go to the largest cities with the most crime to even come close. Cancun’s problem is real.

Charlotte is on the list of ‘deadliest U.S. cities.’ See where it ranked.

https://majorcitieschiefs.com/pdf/n...eport_2017_and_2016_year_end_update_copy1.pdf

I am bad at math but if you look at the rate per 100,000, St Louis is 29.1 and Cancun is 81.4.

Well, OK, the illicit drug market is driven by demand and if there were no demand there'd be no market. But I'm pretty sure that the violence in Mexico is mostly associated with the movement of large quantities of such substances, not the servicing of individual consumers.

That said, no matter what your inclination is about such things, I'd recommend staying clear of that whole scene when you are in a foreign land.

When Eric read the statistics to me, from another source, I wondered the same thing. I guessitimated Charlotte as roughly the same population so did a comparison, Turns out I was right about the comparative populations but not even close on the homicide count.

Then checked Raleigh, even less. Then nation wide. Seems you have to go to the largest cities with the most crime to even come close. Cancun’s problem is real.

Charlotte is on the list of ‘deadliest U.S. cities.’ See where it ranked.

https://majorcitieschiefs.com/pdf/n...eport_2017_and_2016_year_end_update_copy1.pdf

I am bad at math but if you look at the rate per 100,000, St Louis is 29.1 and Cancun is 81.4.

You are comparing 2016 numbers with 2018 numbers and the Charlotte article is dated Feb 2018 - just saying. And I think that math is off as well.

Regardless, how many of those violent crime stats in Charlotte and St. Louis (which is actually HALF the size of Cancun) involved innocent victims/random crimes vs. targeted cartel violence against their own? This increase in violent crime in Cancun is directly due to the cartel on cartel turf war - not random, innocent victims

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom