Reason To Make Bag Drag from Cancun to Cozumel for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

85 people were killed in Charlotte in 2017. Even if you double that for 2018 it is still far less than Cancun. For Charlotte the median age was 29. And three quarter of the deahs were from gun shot.

And the statistics for St Louis and Cancun are equalized per 100000 population.

85 people were killed in Charlotte in 2017. Even if you double that for 2018 it is still far less than Cancun.

And the statistics for St Louis and Cancun are equalized per 100000 population.

Population Cancun = 628,0000
Homicides 540

540/628000 = .0008 x 100 = .09%

Still, I maintain that you're missing the important fact that this large number is primarily cartel on cartel = targeted violence unlike the random violence in the states and I maintain that the likelihood of getting caught in the crossfire is no more likely that anywhere in the USA

I think OP is trying to say people should forego Cancun and bag drag to dive in Cozumel, where it is safer. That’s just my interpretation. I could be completely wrong.

This. We just made our first trip to Cozumel on a direct Southwest flight to Cancun. At first we were thinking of just staying in Cancun and diving there instead of dealing with the bag drag. I'm really glad we changed our mind and did it, not just because of the superior diving off Cozumel but because the people of Cozumel are also wonderful.

That is per 100,000, not 100. Should be 85.98. I admit, I rounded up the population. This number is more accurate.
Population Cancun = 628,0000
Homicides 540

540/628000 = .0008 x 100 = .09%

Still, I maintain that you're missing the important fact that this large number is primarily cartel on cartel = targeted violence unlike the random violence in the states and I maintain that the likelihood of getting caught in the crossfire is no more likely that anywhere in the USA
As I recall, you started the comparison.

That is per 100,000, not 100. Should be 85.98. I admit, I rounded up the population. This number is more accurate.
As I recall, you started the comparison.

Haha - oops - you are correct - OK my bad math - but that still does not change my opinion on safety of traveling through Cancun vs. any other city in the US

Christi I fully agree with you. There was a famous incident 2 years back in Playa at the Blue Parrot in which a tourist was tragicly caught in the crossfire of gang attack over the failure to pay protection money. If you put it in perspective it's probably a good idea wherever you are in the world to not hang out in a club at 3AM

Late edit, accidentally posted half a post without realizing it.
The next sentence was to read
'where drugs are actively being sold and consumed'

Christi I fully agree with you. There was a famous incident 2 years back in Playa at the Blue Parrot in which a tourist was tragicly caught in the crossfire of gang attack over the failure to pay protection money. If you put it in perspective it's probably a good idea wherever you are in the world to not hang out in a club at 3AM

That's not what that shooting was about.
You don't know what you're talking about.

In my opinion, comparing Cancun's safety to cities in the US or any other country isn't relevant. What I care about is the relative safety (and diving) between Cancun and Cozumel - as I make my choice where to spend my time and money. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the local populace of Cozumel seems very protective of tourism and are pleasantly polite. I have no experience with the local populace of Cancun, so I have no opinion there, but I enjoyed my interactions on Cozumel.

I don’t post often but considering your flying into Cancun Int. Airport
How much of Cancun have you seen?
We step outside catch the ADO bus and poof on the highway.
I suspect if a tourist was to be caught up in something it would mostly be in Playa.
I prefer to fly into Cozumel and do most of the time.
Didn’t quite understand what the OP was after but my 2 cents.

PS as for St. Louis they skew those numbers all the time by adding East St. Louis Illinois to that. Now that’s a place you don’t want to be after dark!

Statistically, I would be willing to bet that the chances are lower of getting caught in crossfire in Cancun than a man or woman walking into a school or a mall or a concert and INTENTIONALLY opening fire on INNOCENT people in any town USA. I say I would be willing to bet, because I don't have actual statistics, but I do know that there are mass shootings in the USA almost DAILY in small towns and big cities.

To me this is a huge difference. I live near a city that recently had a mass shooting (San Bernardino) and not all-that-far from another city where the gunman was randomly killing people and for no apparent reason (Las Vegas). At least in Q.Roo I can choose not to become involved in drugs and stay away from bad areas but in the US you could become a victim anywhere, and at any time. In order to join some of the gangs here you have to kill someone--anyone. You could be walking down the street and be shot just because you happened to be there.

I'm not sure where "the hood" might be in San Miguel but I have walked around neighborhoods at midnight many times and not only did I never feel threatened, I felt welcome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom