Reason To Make Bag Drag from Cancun to Cozumel for Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, it happened. There was also a similar shooting last week on 11 and 65. The rumor I heard - and I stress rumor - was that it mas mainland cartel members hiding in Cozumel that were found and dealt with.

It doesn't make me happy, but as a Chicago native it certainly doesn't make me feel any less safe. I tell all my divers the same thing - don't buy drugs and don't buy women and you won't have any problems.

I am actually DONE with trying to find or make excuses. This year I had to have our property electrified due to the number of robberies we had in the past couple of years. This is not the island I first visited 20 years ago. I think that dive tourists can still have a decent dive holiday but their eyes need to be wide open that the "troubles" seen elsewhere in Mexico have arrived in Cozumel. Until they are widely exposed, and people demand that police aggressively deal with them, they will continue. Sweeping them under the carpet and making excuses just allows it to continue. And THAT, ultimately will hurt the island, its residents, and its businesses until someone deems it a big enough problem to address.

Looked like a woman getting arrested at the 2:00 mark.

Looked like a woman getting arrested at the 2:00 mark.
As I understand it (and the various comments in Spanish), she was the third person in the car (uninjured). At this point, they would have been taking everyone into custody and sorting things out later.

I am actually DONE with trying to find or make excuses. This year I had to have our property electrified due to the number of robberies we had in the past couple of years. This is not the island I first visited 20 years ago. I think that dive tourists can still have a decent dive holiday but their eyes need to be wide open that the "troubles" seen elsewhere in Mexico have arrived in Cozumel. Until they are widely exposed, and people demand that police aggressively deal with them, they will continue. Sweeping them under the carpet and making excuses just allows it to continue. And THAT, ultimately will hurt the island, its residents, and its businesses until someone deems it a big enough problem to address.
Your honesty is very refreshing. Seems like many are ostriches.

The kidnapping article was rather brief, but what little I understood it sounded like someone was being held for $20,000 MX and demanded that they sign over their car to them. So, next they are going to go down to the department of motor vehicles in San Miguel and register the car in their name? Maybe the $1000 US is to bribe the authorities. So, then they are either going to drive around where the previous owner will see them or they will take the car on the ferry to the mainland. Somehow I don't think $1000 will be quite enough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom