Reappearing River cave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like it did. Basically the sumps are short and the depths are shallow. Longest and deepest was sump 4 at 32' deep. Lengths are on the map.

The "Tablesaw Crawl" (not on the map, it's a name we made up for the section) is about 20m long and I think it's that shallow bit before the 1st sump.

First portage (just before sump 2) is about 5m long. Second portage (between sump 3 and 4) was about 20m long and 800' in. Distance to NeverNeverLand was about 1600'. NNL is about 110m long. Sump 5 ends in an air pocket with a shallow, silty bit too small to crawl through heading off to areas unknown. It would be nice to connect Sumps 5 and 6 so that we wouldn't have to do the walk/climb in NNL.

At Sump 8 the letters JCP and KDS refer to John Pollack (who did this map) and David Sawatzky. This is as far as they got back in 1989. Sawatzky's depth at the time was 160'.

After NNL things get longer and deeper. The challenge is to get all the gear necessary to do the deeper/longer areas past NNL.

If anyone finds themselves in the area I would invite you to go to the trailhead and make the hike in. BC Forests (I think) have made a very nice trail into the site with a great interpretive sign that has the side profile of the cave (that I attached here) along with a topdown profile and explanation of the system. It's a beautiful 10 min. hike in a temperate rainforest.

Last edited:
Thanks for that information, Brian. I'll store it in my list of things to do on Vancouver Island -- I MUST get up and spend more time there.

OK curiosity got me reading this thread again....

so... wrt all the dry sections, is the air good?? I wonder how it gets its 02/C02 exchange...

I know we always analyze our diving gasses before inhaling, so how do we assure ourselves that air in a cave is still breathable?? It could concievably be full of methane, radon, H2S....

Is there any way other than just taking a wiff?? or do you take a sniffer in a dry-box??

You pull out your trusty miner's canary :D
canary_miner.jpg

so... wrt all the dry sections, is the air good?? I wonder how it gets its 02/C02 exchange...

I know we always analyze our diving gasses before inhaling, so how do we assure ourselves that air in a cave is still breathable?? It could concievably be full of methane, radon, H2S....

Is there any way other than just taking a wiff?? or do you take a sniffer in a dry-box??

Thats exactly why I usually dive in the "rocking chair" position. (also works in the ocean when sharks might be around)

so... wrt all the dry sections, is the air good??

Yes.

I wonder how it gets its 02/C02 exchange...

We discussed that while we were walking around inside. We don't know the answer.

I know we always analyze our diving gasses before inhaling, so how do we assure ourselves that air in a cave is still breathable??
We brought Rjack. I wanted to use JeffG but he wasn't available.

Excellent video. thanks for sharing it.
Do you have any plans for diving more caves in BC?
I'm still a rookie to cave diving . but I could help next time.

John, You could probably show them some new caves, or at least some caves that haven't been accessable for a few years - as long as you quit breaking your quad trailers getting into them. Heading up to Klemtu the end of next week (18th). Bringing some 18/45 for the trip, Lloyd will fly up if the Transpac is on the menu. let me know if your in that week. Also, on Sunday we're heading out to Sisters Island in Lloyd's Zodiac if your interested. Chuck

Hi John,

Hope you and Bill had a good trip there. Did you do just one dive at RR last week or were you able to get in more?

No plans right now to do anything more on the island until we are done with RR. We were going to check out Devil's Bath when we were there but the road was closed because of a forest fire. Were you able to get down that way? The water truck guy we talked to said they were just about done so we were thinking the roads would be open soon.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom