Reading glasses that won't get lost in water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife and I have needed reading classes for more than a decade now. We have "cheater glasses" all over the house and use those inexpensive stick-on lenses in our dive masks. I stick them on per the directions (with a drop of water), then I apply a very thin line of clear silicone around the perimeter of each lens. I apply it with a toothpick. They stay stuck and the line of silicone is invisible whey looking through the lens (even if you apply it sloppily). I've used this technique for many years, and it works like a charm. When I need stronger lenses, the silicone is easily removable. I've never had one come loose after I glued it. Between my wife and I we've done at lease several hundred dives and never lost a glued lens.

Lexvil,
I just noticed your post! Ha, I thought I invented this technique! Great minds think alike!

Silicone...as in clear silicone caulk? It's kinda goopy/sticky. Seems like even using a toothpick would be problematic putting it on. Could you just put on a really thin layer, then squash it down, and wipe off the excess that oozes out while still soft?

IMG_20180129_211519765.jpg
Well I suppose, if you experimented with just the right amount. As you say, it really goopy/sticky. By your method, I think you'd get a lot of excess that would be nearly impossible to wipe out. But if you used just a really small dot, it probably could work well. I never tried it. It's actually pretty easy with toothpick. Just put a very small amount on the tip and keep applying it as you go. I've done it probably 3 times on each of our masks (I also did it to my motorcycle goggles). You don't have to be perfect. Here's a photo of my mask.

Last edited:
I have use the Hydro-Tac stick-on lenses in the past. $15 from Walmart.

If you clean the mask lens well, put the Hydro-Tac lens on, and then let it dry for at least 24 hours, well, I have not had one come off by accident.

I have use the Hydro-Tac stick-on lenses in the past. $15 from Walmart.

If you clean the mask lens well, put the Hydro-Tac lens on, and then let it dry for at least 24 hours, well, I have not had one come off by accident.

My advice in the thread about this a year or more back was to follow the directions to the letter, and give as much drying time as possible as the adhesion is dependant on not having any dirt, air bubbles or water between the lens and the glass. Since I was working at the time it was easy to give a five day drying time, and would suggest as long as possible. I've had the same set for over 10 years, and have successfully moved it to my new mask during that time.

I set them below my line of sight on the mask because I only need them occasionally for small print or objects.

Bob

To position mine, I put on my computer and my mask. Then I tried to look at my computer through the mask, holding my arm in a position as close as I could guess to how I would do it in the water. Close each eye one at a time. Lick my fingertip and touch my mask lens on the outside in the spot for each eye that blocks my view of the computer. Then put the stick-on lens on the inside over the spot left by my finger.

I positioned mine with the flat side on top. Were I to do it again, I think I would try positioning them so the flat sides are butted up against the sides of the nose cutout. Not sure if that would be better or not, but I would try it.

Not an issue nowadays, as I got Seavision masks with gauge reader lenses. They seal better than the mask I was using, have colored lenses for color correction in blue or green water, and I paid for them with my HSA, so no out of pocket expense.

Here's something else to consider that won't cost $100's or $1000's. I wear multi-focal contact lens.They are basically bi focal contacts. You can get them in disposable or 2 week lenses. I wear Acuvue Oasys 2 week lenses. I get the left one that is stronger close up. I only wear them for diving and on vacation. So instead of buying a whole box, I just buy a sample pair.

The Sherwood Mag four has a + 1.75 magnifying lens .
As said earlier it is very reasonable in price .
Sea Dwellers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom