Reactions to Tech Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone had any reactions from other divers when they found no snorkel on you? Would you say that lack of a snorkel is somewhat a derivative of some kind of tech gear on the diver?

I dont think that diving twins is a 'tech' thing or strickly for deep dives etc. I started diving them because I like the benifits they provide. It just so happens they're just not the norm where I live. now whats funny is me in a drysuit in the middle of summer in miami. Ill give it anyone that whats to make fun of me in that situation.

I guess it just depends on what you define as tech. My shop manager considers anything more than single tank recreational diving as tech (i.e. any doubles system, I guess I should ask if he includes pony bottles into this). For me it is any diving that requires decompression or entering an overhead when you can no longer see the exit.

Drysuits definitely aren't, everybody dives them here. I think the stigma around them depends on where you dive. We have an instructor from California who says everybody dives wetsuit there and if you dare dive drysuit you'll be branded a wuss. Here, we just look at wetsuit divers and shake our heads and they tend to agree :D

And in Newfoundland
Welcome bAck to the Mermaid.jpg

The most questions I get are about my Chucks. Gotta love Converse Chuck Taylor All Star hi tops! I bought them for $24.95 on sale at Sears and they have lasted 5 years and hundreds of dives. I'm still using the original shoelaces.

I thought I'd seen one of the dive guides at Bonne Terre wearing all-black Chucks, and I've been telling myself for a year that they're just toe-capped dive boots. And now I learn that I'm wrong!

2X
I am really beginning to hate *that* attitude and I see it often. Ok well maybe not hate, that's a strong word but annoy is more like it. I've gotten it plenty on charter boats but I really don't like it when semi-experienced (divers who have never used a drysuit ever) are telling newer divers that they don't ever need to buy a drysuit. Let them make that choice..

The wetsuit divers in question are always trying to bluntly explain to me or others on the boat that drysuits are expensive, hard to get into and waste of money and that they never usually get *that* cold. 35 minutes later they're up on the boat or out of the water, looking slightly blue while myself and others in drysuits have just done 70 minute dives in 37f water.

I realize that what I wrote may have came off as slightly arrogant but the point I was trying to make or at least convey was everyone has different cold tolerances. I hate when people tell others they don't need a drysuit for New England diving. Maybe they don't..but others do and thoroughly enjoy being warm. Diving is my winter hobby. It's very hard to dive year round in Boston in a wetsuit.

Usually the people that are spouting drysuits are too complicated and hard to get into have never used one. They're turning blue trying to squeeze into their farmer johns while everyone else has quietly slipped into their drysuits without much fuss or contorting, not complaining, not bragging about their cold tolerances or latest gizmo.

Sorry end rant :)

My emphasis. I just can't get the whole "They are too hard to get into to. I've got a Fusion, and even if I've got the 400 gm fleece on, I can gear up as fast, or faster than putting on a 2 mil shorty and then getting the 5 mil full over that. Especially on the 2nd or 3rd dive where that neoprene is nice and cold and clammy.

Not to mention, when I get out, I'm dry. At our local quarry, even in mid summer it's going to be 45* below about 60 foot, and low 60s* around 40 foot or so. Many of us are dry all year round, especially if we have any intentions of going down below the second thermocline.

Steve

We have an instructor from California who says everybody dives wetsuit there and if you dare dive drysuit you'll be branded a wuss. Here, we just look at wetsuit divers and shake our heads and they tend to agree :D

He's full of crap. I live in Monterey, CA and around here it looks like a DUI convention on most weekends.

-Adrian

You are going to get a reaction to anything that is different. I have had a few people who were looking at my BP/W on a charter when I was not standing next to it but only one made a comment. I am not even sure a BP/W can be considered tech gear but it was just something they had not seen before. I get a lot of comments on my lack of gear when doing shallow water shore dives, most do not understand that you can dive without a BCD or a computer and the harness I use instead of back pack makes the tank look like it is strapped directly to my back. Lots of comments on the 30 cu/ft tank I use for shore dives as well but they do not have anything to say at the end of the dive when my 30 and their 80 are both at 500psi. By far I get the most comments when solo diving which requires even less gear and even the people who know nothing about diving are sure I should not be doing that.

The comment I get most often is "are you going to carry all that?" when they see the breather, Cuda 650 and two bailout tanks on the tailgate of my truck as I climb into my drysuit.

-Adrian

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom