Reactions to Tech Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always dive with my doubles here in MD and its not uncommon, when i travel to fl i bring my gear also, i get a curious looks every now and then..
When i dove vandenburg in key west, dm that was in the water following me around kept asking me how much air i got left, on the 6th time i had to point in to my doubles to explain that i got way more air than she did in her al80
I guess some people do think that you're an air hog if you dive doubles

ive found that every now and then i get someone that works on the boat charter in the keys, when diving the wrecks that gets concerned that im trying to sneak in some deco time or something :shakehead:. maybe that dm trying to annoy you out of it lol... or just though you breath like a army tank.

I always like pointing to my 20 cf O2 bottle and point out that I burned through almost 500 PSI on a dive when I'm the first in the water & the last out. Oh...and that I used almost 300 PSI of my 40 cf air. And that I don't have to change tanks for my second dive!

I don't dive off "public" boats much, but I have had my share of questions, usually from people unfamiliar with a Back Plate and Wing. Typically they ask where I purchased my gear. I do get funny looks when I them I made it myself. :)

Tobin

Last edited:
Most UK dive boats have a diver lift, so getting out of the water isn't a big deal.

Seriously?! Why the heck are they not over here too?!

I would get some funny looks when I was getting ready for some cave training diving doubles with 50/50 40cf bottle while watching people spearfish! always answering the WHY question was fun to me

I think any sidemount diver has already had the guy "hang on, I'll help your put that back on your back". Have had it both on surface and underwater...

The most questions I get are about my Chucks. Gotta love Converse Chuck Taylor All Star hi tops! I bought them for $24.95 on sale at Sears and they have lasted 5 years and hundreds of dives. I'm still using the original shoelaces.

Okay, I'll bite.

--------------
Me, walking across the beach into the water, wearing twin 130s and carrying two deco 40s

Overheard:

Fat chick #1: "Oh, look, a tech diver."

Fat chick #2: "I had a boyfriend who was a tech diver. They're rich people who have nothing better to do."

Last edited:
Okay, I'll bite.

--------------
Me, walking across the beach into the water, wearing twin 130s and carrying two deco 40s

Overheard:

Fat chick #1: "Oh, look, a tech diver."

Fat chick #2: "I had a boyfriend who was a tech diver. They're rich people who have nothing better to do."

And that's your queue, to pull out your wet notes from your dry suit pocket and just start making it rain wet note pages with dollar signs on it.

The most common reaction I get is when I come out. I usually just pull off my fins and walk back to the car with my tanks still clipped in place. Inevitably I get curious onlookers wanting to stop and ask me questions about the gear. I have to tell them I'd be happy to talk to them, but I'm carrying 150 pounds of gear ... let me go drop it at the car and I'll answer all your questions.

A tank on my shoulder and a tank in hand ready to walk to the site. Somebody in my group asks "Oh you're diving sidemount! Looks expensive. How do you like it?" I usually like to discuss it but then the weight on my shoulder is telling me to say "Oh, its not too bad. I like it." and continue the trek with no further delays.

Sidemount and tech is fairly common here...either you have dove enough to know it or you are too new and scared :)

Back
Top Bottom