Re-valve tanks OR convert my reg?!?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Byte Me

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been thinking about picking up a couple steel 100's for myself. Mentioned this to a friend who said "my dad used to work at a place that made them, we've got a bunch in our basement that I'm sure he'd sell." SWEET! was my first though. A great deal on steel 100's! I picked them up from him and other than needing vis and hydro, which I expected, they're also DIN. I've got a Delta IV / FDX10 reg which I'm told could be "converted" to DIN. If I did this I'd get a yoke / din adapter for travel diving purposes since most are yoke. Tanks are in very good condition and have had air in them the whole time they've been in his basement.

My other option, which my LDS said would be the preferred route - is to re-valve the tanks to DIN but w/ yoke inserts. Current valves are Sherwood 6300 DIN. Trouble is I have no idea what valves I'd need. They did mention I'd probably have to find them used or new old stock since they don't make them new any longer for this type of tank neck?!?

So, I'm hoping for two things here -

1: Do I revalve or convert the reg?
2: What valves would I need and where can I find them?

Thanks! Pictures of the tanks below:

Markings on the valve back are "4000 - 120" and "3500" then on the neck it's stamped G88

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

swap the valves DIN with the insert.

Are they HP 100s? If so, can your regulator handle HP?

These are old PST cylinder with 7/8" neck threads. They are DIN only as the service pressure is 3500psi. The std valves are 3/4" and will not fit. As such, if you want to use them you will need to convert your reg over to DIN.

These are old PST cylinder with 7/8" neck threads. They are DIN only as the service pressure is 3500psi. The std valves are 3/4" and will not fit. As such, if you want to use them you will need to convert your reg over to DIN.

Bingo, reg conversion is the only choice.

Bingo, reg conversion is the only choice.

7/8 valves are available.

Just be sure to convert back before you take your regs on vacation with you. Ever see a DIN tank in the caribbean?

The bigger issue here is if your regulator will handle high pressure. Will they?

Thanks! Almost a year since I got the regs so back to ST for service, have them convert to DIN and get a DIN adapter for travel purposes. Appreciate the help!

7/8 valves are available.

Just be sure to convert back before you take your regs on vacation with you. Ever see a DIN tank in the caribbean?

The bigger issue here is if your regulator will handle high pressure. Will they?

Where? The only currently available ones I've seen are Thermo's, and they are 300 BAR. I have seen some old DiveRite's, but good luck finding them.

Yes, converting your regs is the easiest route, the valves are available, but its not a very popular thread, hense quite scarce.

Where? The only currently available ones I've seen are Thermo's, and they are 300 BAR. I have seen some old DiveRite's, but good luck finding them.

A year ago I called around to find a couple for my old HP120. I found that many, many places had some they were willing to sell. They're not AS available, but certainly not that scarce either.

Ever see a DIN tank in the caribbean?

Slightly off topic, but I saw my LDS (in the Caribbean) had a bunch of DIN tanks sitting out on the dock the other day. When I asked, they said that they hadn't been used in 6 years.

Back
Top Bottom