Re-Hydroing to get Plus rating?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IrishCubsFan

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I recently bought a couple of Faber Steel tanks. I discovered that they were hydro'd last November but it was not done to the retain the Plus rating on the tank.
My question is, can I get these tanks re-hydro'd to get a plus rating on them?

Thanks,
ICF

:06:

Legally, yes. There's nothing in the regs to stop you from having them hydroed early, and the "+" can be done at any time in the life of a 3AA tank, regardless of whether it was done previously or not.

In real life, it depends on the hydro shop and whether they know what they are doing.

I sure wouldn't have them rehydroed before they are due, though, just to get the plus. I've had sets of identical plus and non-plus rated tanks, and never been able to see that it makes any consistent difference in what I'd end up with as a fill pressure. A lot of shops just put 2400-2500 in any LP steel, regardless.

Fabers are nice in this regard as they usually have an REE number stamped on them.

This makes it much easier for the hydro test facility to do the math requried for the plus rating. Some test facilities seem challenged by this with the REE number let alone doing the wall stress calulation from scratch, which many test facilities refuse to do.

So if your tank has an REE number on the side it may just be a matter of requesting the additional plus rating with the hydro test as most test facilities do not plus rate tanks unless it's specifically requested.

Back
Top Bottom