Can High Pressure 3442 and 3500 steel tanks get plus + rated?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OCDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Searched around and just can't seem to find an answer. Are HP steel tanks ever plus rated? I've read where someone got a HP steel plus rated, but there was a question of whether or not the company that did the hydro made a mistake.

If yes, do folks have luck finding LDS that will fill 10% over on these cylinders?

I’m no tank expert, by any means, but I do know that Faber had their M series that were 3180 with a +. I don’t know of any 3442 or 3500 that can get + rated, though. Also, don’t how easy it is to get the M series filled with the 10%, either.

Hope that is some help,
Erik

No they can't be plus rated. Only 3AA (low and mid pressure steels) can get a +.

Adding a plus rating to a HP steel effectively condemns it and potentially gets a huge fine for the dumbass retester.

humm. a fine? a huge fine? watching this thread with interest.

They routinely fill lp’s to almost double the rated pressure. I fill my lp’s to 3.5k and my hp’s to 4.3k

If a DOT inspector shows up when a tank is being overfilled that MIGHT result in a fine for the shop, but I was referring to the stamp.

After thinking about it ..... it is most likely the + was added by a previous owner with a home stamp kit. Any legit retester would certainly know the regulations on HP tanks. However it's possible if they were stamping a mixed bunch of low-pressure and high-pressure tanks they might add a + to an HP by mistake.

Bottom line -- don't buy plus rated HP tanks.

A plus can only be authorised if they are 3AA designated. No SP cylinder can be plused.

A plus can only be authorised if they are 3AA designated. No SP cylinder can be plused.
Yep, that is what post #3 said, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom