? re buying/selling used regulators.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fair enough, Sam.

My background is in aviation and aerospace. I have over 40 years as an aircraft mechanic, quality inspector, and maintenance supervisor. I've rebuilt and inspected all sorts of aircraft and space flight hardware including hydraulic actuators, accumulators, etc. The training a "factory trained" scuba technician would pale in comparison to the training most technicians get in my field. Learning to read and follow technical manuals, spot anomalies, diagnose problems, then come up with the correct solution must become second nature.

But now that I've bored you with that-on to answering your question. My scuba equipment training was OJT in the few dive shops I was employed. I helped to maintain and service our rental and training equipment. The factory trained technicians taught me how to service regulators. In turn, I showed (some of) them how to properly use a torque wrench, lubricate o-rings correctly, polish out minor defects the factory missed on a significant surface, and to diagnose problems-not just throw parts at them.

I know none of this would hold up in court; but the next time you buy a used regulator set for yourself or a family member, do you want one rebuilt by a zit faced two day wonder with a certificate of completion, or someone who truly understands how they work?

Couv

Last edited:
One 1st, 2 2nd, no hoses.

I would prefer the option to buy the stages separately, if only to be able to build the set that I want.

FWIW I'd trust the likes of Couv, Axxel, Halocline, Herman, rsingler, Luis, oldschoolto etc etc before I'd trust any shop I've ever encountered in almost 20 years. I might trust a shop whose tech was trained by one of the afore mentioned though.

Let's not forget, we're talking regulators not spaceships.

Last edited:
FWIW I'd trust the likes of Couv, Axxel, Halocline, Herman, rsingler, Luis etc etc before I'd trust any shop I've ever encountered in almost 20 years. I might trust a shop whose tech was trained by one of the afore mentioned though.

Given that the 2 109s which I bought from Couv have been functioning flawlessly down at 60 metres for more than 30 dives so far, along with over 150 other dives in the local puddle which people call the Mediterranean, I'd be far more willing to trust him to work on my regulators that any dive shop.

FWIW I'd trust the likes of Couv, Axxel, Halocline, Herman, rsingler, Luis etc etc before I'd trust any shop I've ever encountered in almost 20 years. I might trust a shop whose tech was trained by one of the afore mentioned though.

Do I go in the ETC, ETC group ? Just wondering :confused:

Jim...

@couv stated

Fair enough, Sam.

My background is in aviation and aerospace. I have over 40 years as an aircraft mechanic, quality inspector, and maintenance supervisor. I've rebuilt and inspected all sorts of aircraft and space flight hardware including hydraulic actuators, accumulators, etc. The training a "factory trained" scuba technician would pale in comparison to the training most technicians get in my field. Learning to read and follow technical manuals, spot anomalies, diagnose problems, then come up with the correct solution must become second nature.

But now that I've bored you with that-on to answering your question. My scuba equipment training was OJT in the few dive shops I was employed. I helped to maintain and service our rental and training equipment. The factory trained technicians taught me how to service regulators. In turn, I showed (some of) them how to properly use a torque wrench, lubricate o-rings correctly, polish out minor defects the factory missed on a significant surface, and to diagnose problems-not just throw parts at them.

I know none of this would hold up in court; but the next time you buy a used regulator set for yourself or a family member, do you want one rebuilt by a zit faced two day wonder with a certificate of completion, or someone who truly understands how they work?

Couv

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My response --- Long !

Well hombre

Very interesting !
some words of advice from one who was a "professional diving witness" long before you could say regulator.

Attorneys use a dictionary called "Blacks Law dictionary" which contains the legal definition of word and phrases, You might want to go to your local library check out a copy of Blacks and look up "over haul" "repaired" or "reconditioned" to best describe and protect your self from future litigation.

It is not the satisfied customer who will be your problem it is the grieving widow or the parents who will seek legal recourse in the event of an accident that may or may not involve your equipment. Often in a questionable fatality the legal machine uses a shot gun approach and lists every one possibly involved as a component of the litigation.

I retired from practice --good gosh - almost 25 years ago. I suddenly discovered I needed something to occupy my time....Rudy Mola in Florida had a equipment repair program in place so why not one on the west coast? I had the space, the equipment and the knowledge so why not? I checked with my neighbor who an attorney who insisted that I obtain the best possible insurance coverage. I did -- The cost at that time was prohibitive -- no way Jose!

So I began writing a local newspaper diving column "Diver Bubbles." which I was informed by the editor that it was the first diving dedicated news paper column in the US-- It didn't pay much but it was challenging !

So my advice to sage you is check with Blacks, create an acceptable descriptor of you offerings and obtain an umbrella insurance from a very established reputable insurance company...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now a little about me and my SCUBA repair experience...

I began "diving" as a goggler about the same time as the God of UW - in the 1940s. after WW11 I obtained a Sea Net mask, the first US patented dive mask designed by Frank Rodecker who a few years later we would be in the same dive club and from A&B in NYC a pair of Churchill fins. Also became friends with Owen a visited his home on several occasions.

When Rene established US Divers the Aqua Lung aka Lung was advertised as not needing repair - Wrong ! The late Bill Milman was hired as the first US Lung repairman. a position he had for many years. To obtain parts all was needed was to call up Bill or visit him and "repair" your own ling--(FYI the originals were a piece of junk!)

After JYC & Crew acquired Divers and moved to Santa Ana in August 1960 things began to change-It became a company ..Many years ago under the direction of Tommy Thomson US Divers created an in house week long 40 hour equipment repair course which was FREE to shop owners and industry leaders- I qualified under the later category.

The late Jim Hagadorn, who went to the big reef in the sky early this year while diving for Abs in NorCal was the supervisor of US Diver repair department as well as the full time instructor for the course.
I repeated the course on three separate occasions , each time for an update on the latest US Divers equipment and to overhaul my families and class regulators.

Around the late 1980s Brian Miller ( no relation) was working his way up the US Diver corporate ladder and was in charge of the repair course. My 12 year old son Sam IV, who began diving as a toddler in a bath tub and progressed to a very competent young diver had completed his summer school, and needs new challenges. So I asked Brian if possible to enroll him in the equipment repair class ? The answer was Yes.

Every morning he was up early grabbed his lunch jumped on to his bike and peddled about 5 miles to US divers.

He returned the first day with a US divers T shirt and with the revelation that he had more diving experience than any one else in the class.

A few days later a US Divers Sweat shirt.

The last day a new US Diver regulator and F,M&S that a fellow named John Cronin gave him, the same John Cronin who was US Divers President and founder of PADI.

About 2 weeks later Tommy called and asked if we could bring Sam IV over to US Divers, there was a gentleman who wanted to meet him. We did - the gentlemen was Cousteau who presented Sam Iv with an inscribed book.

Sam IV went on to became a NAUI (Life) and PADI instructor, a Pro 5000 Diver as well as a ER & Hyperbaric Doctor and is currently Director of ER& Hyperbarics and a Staff member at the local regional hospital.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So now you know ....and there is even more ... There are other companies and their courses ...

Good Luck !

Sam Miller, 111

Hello Sam

Always informative and entertaining reading your posts about the history of diving in the US.

But concerning knowledge and experience in Scuba Regulator Service and Repair.

With all due respect, are you sure that you can follow the technical discussions we have here in this and the DIY section?

If your concern are ligitation issues, that's okay and understood.

But if you question the technical knowledge and experience of other divers, it would be helpful if you could bring some more substance into the discussion, for example explaining what could be the intellectual challenge or missing experience for Couv, me and other usual suspects when we are rebuilding SP Vintage Regulators.

What could we do wrong which could have prevented by visiting a repair Course with your old heros, who are unfortunately already dead.

I guess everybody of us has studied Pete Wolfingers (why didn't you mentioned him?) Regulator Savvy and Vance Harlow and has learned in the sometimes quite specific discussions a lot about how regulators are working here on the Board.

My last two full day SP Technician Course last year had been as always pretty lousy and it scares me to know that people who had no idea about regulator technic before, now are allowed to put hand on others equipment.

I trust much more some 'ambitioned amateurs' on that forum and their pretty profound knowledge and keep on learning on their posts and discussions.

Again, before questioning the knowledge of members here you obviously don't know, start reading in the Regulators or DIY section on SB and show us your knowledge.....

Otherwise it might be maybe more constructive if you keep on writing historical anecdotes in the Vintage section.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom