? re buying/selling used regulators.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since I mostly buy stuff on ebay, I end up buying a set in order to get the stage I want, then "think" about selling the stages I don't plan to use. I'd love to buy individual stages though. I'm fond of MK17s, which don't come up too often, so I'm thinking of titans or conshelfs. I'll PM you.

I do much the same, last summer I bought a bunch of Poseidon jetstream regs, like 9 2nd and 4 1st stages. I have actually sold two of the 2nd stages. But I think I "need" the ones i have left, kindoff.

@couv
stated
"Several of us on SB have a hobby/habit of buying, rebuilding, and selling our favorite regulator make and models. My question is for those of you who consider buying used regulators."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I would question your training and experience in regulator rebuilding.

If you have "official" training --what ever that denotes ?- but in modern day jargon apparently attending a short almost introductory class taught at DEMA by a company technician you are considered "trained ,"

Are you 'company trained ?" if not it is suspected you are setting your self up for litigation especially if your rebuilt regulator is involved In an accident

So what are your qualifications to declare regulators "rebuilt"

Sam Miller,111

Sam, why don't you check some posts of Couv, then you don't have to ask questions like that.......
I have rebuilt, serviced and repaired thousands of regulators in the last 27 years, mostly SP, I have rebuilt my three Pilot 2nds, my converted Pilot, about ten AIR1, my 17 Ds, 108s and 109s, G250-260, S500-550-600, my MK1, MK3s, MK5s, MK9-10-11-15-16-17-18-20-25 and I am not sure that I know more about classic SP regs than Couv, so stop questioning, start reading........

@NotSure @axxel57
I have been an "expert witness too many times beginning with the defense of the red and white divers flag in 1962. I have seen American attorneys at work --the are in every sense of the word "attack dogs." In todays litigious society to be protected you must read the fine print and have an umbrella of experience knowledge and insurance

@axxel57
A simple question of experience and knowledge -- nothing more nothing less.

I would also question you on your "27": years of Scuba Pro regulator repair

Were you trained by the late great Sam Ichakawa who was the Scuba Pro repairman for about 30 years --or the late Rene Rojas who took over for Sam until his untimely death . Did you acquire your training by them as official SCUBA Pro repairmen or a company sponsored short 3 hour course at DEMA or possibly local shop OJT ? I some how suspect the later -- OJT and there is nothing wrong with OJT--

One of the time tested time proven original OJT is father to son relationships which is nothing more than OJT -- mal bon- mal grin-

sdm

Last edited:
Sam,

How about you answering my question first, then I'll answer your's. I've pasted it below.

My question is for those of you who consider buying used regulators. What is your preference?
Buy stages independently.
Buy 1 first and 1 second stage.
Buy 1 first stage, and 2 second stages.
Buy a first stage, 2 second stages, and an SPG
Other combination.

TIA,

Couv

@couv
I certainly appreciate your questions -- or questionnaire.

If i were in the market I would purchase an entire regulator, number 3
And since you have rebuilt it I would expect it to be rebuilt to factory specifications with approved parts ready for dunking in the ocean

Nothing more -- nothing less would be acceptable

SDM

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom