RB-80 Mods IE WKPP mods for larger tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Im looking for information and pics of some of the modifications that the WKPP has done to there RB-80's for long duration dives (IE the 18k dive or) also what were the tanks that they attached to the rebrethers ? from the pics i saw they looked like steel 120's or bigger.

also i know the WKPP carries additional stages but are those stages plugged into the RB ? if so how.

the reason i ask is that over dinner last night there was a discussion on this and was told that the only tanks they use were 40's or 80's

thanks in advance

I only know a little about the RB80s but I have seen a few close up and I'm not absolutely sure but: The 18k dive was done pre-rb80 using the old Halcyon RB, LP120s are used on the big WKPP dives but 40s or 80s are standard and are suitable for almost all dives, and stages are carried as normal and plug in using a quick disconnect. Check out http://akumaldircenter.com/rb80con.htm for a little information. There's a pic of the switchblock near the bottom.

Of course switchblocks are DIR: Doing It semi-closed Rebreather.

Madmole, I know how much you suffer from Halcyon envy.
Let me help you out here, old buddy: :doctor:

Since the Inspiration neither really needs nor comes with one
they are not DIR. However you can convert it as follows:
poke a little hole into the exhalation hose so it bubbles a little,
add a switchblock, two large cylinders and a shovel. Even with
a really nice shovel it'll still be less expensive than the RB80. :D

good lord

is that a RB 80 with dual scrubbers ? are they even sold that way or modified by halcyon that way

also what the size of those tanks on that rig

Scubatooth once bubbled...
good lord

is that a RB 80 with dual scrubbers ? are they even sold that way or modified by halcyon that way

That is a dual RB 80. If I'm not mistaken it is used by the EKPP http://www.ekpp.de/projects/doux02/ for their push dives, and if I remember right they use the dual RB because it is next to impossible to set up enough safeties to bail out OC in the caves they dive. Halcyon does not sell them like that.

EKPP member Reinhard Buchaly is the designer of the RB80. That's what the RB stands for, BTW - not rebreather.

Actually rather than a dual scrubber it's a redundant RB80. It was designed by Reinhard who designed the RB80 for Halcyon. Halcyon does not sell or modify it that way. As far as I know the WKPP uses the same RB80's that you would buy from Halcyon with no different modifications from stock.
SLJ

Yes, those are two complete rebreathers, mounted like twins ... :D
Got the pics from Michael Waldbrenners site, he's Reinhard Buchaly's
team partner on deep penetrations. Here another shot of both their rigs.

On those they use 20ltr. cylinders, I don't know the fill pressure though.
Size ought to be the same as OMS 131s, but content could be higher as
Europeans use 3500 psi more frequently than we do here in the US.

:) Stefan

Then again, he uses 20s in this picture. 20 cu.ft. :D
Shown here on a normal RB80, next to twin104s.
Whatever is needed for the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom