Razor 2.0 or 2.1 or SMS75

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I received my Razor 2.1 mounting-triglide yesterday and got the chance for two short (mostly stationary) tryout dives today:

While I am a bit to short in the torso for my new wing position I will keep it this way for a few dives at least - feels great.

I moved both wing and T-Weight System to the triglide mounting hole.
It is very easy to fit compared to the normal triglide due to larger cutouts for the webbing and being larger.
Took me less than 10-15 Minutes and I did several other changes and repairs at the same time and changed a regulator hose while I was at it.

This way the bungee now runs freely above the wing attachment, restricted only by a single webbing loop.
The backup wing inflator also crosses the bungee now, I did not realise this could be a problem before - did not have a problem with it yet, though.

The wing reaches down to the lowest point of the crotch strap backside now, which I consider to be a bit low.
Moved the B-ring attachment down there for now, too.

Anyway:
Pros:
Reaching the dump-valve with the wing inflated to bursting pressure was not hard before, but now it has become astoundingly easy in any position.
Lift and weights are even more concentrated on the lower spinal area now.
Webbing feels less restricting around the shoulders and the upper spine.
Bungee switch under water is now so easy, I consider this 'solved' for me and will probably stop practicing it before long.
Bungee feels like one just slung around the back, not restricted to move from side to side at all.

Cons:
The wing is not attached as tightly now at the bottom, might look much worse than it feels.
The wing now nearly covers the backside hip D-rings when not inflated.
Less room along the spine to attach weights, I loose one 2kg (or stacked three kilo) position myself (bringing me to a maximum of 12Kg).

So it actually isn't much worse than before while being very comfortable indeed.
While being actually to small in the torso for the wing, I seem to be able to compensate for that with my longer than average legs - trim is just perfect, at least feels like it is.
Will be a lot of fun to remember some things again that I have not done for some time in the next few weeks to try it out.

Still unable or unwilling to read before commenting?

It wasn't to high before, but is a bit low now - but still works fine.

It's a bit different from the old way, but only by an inch or two, so it does not have a huge effect.

An inch or two on the razor wing should have a *huge* effect. (You were talking about positioning weights to the millimeter a week ago...) Anyway getting the thick part of the wing lined up right is crucial to trim. When it's setup properly, in-trim should be the natural position of the diver without expending effort.

No my friend, when setup correctly the system should be tolerant of small changes and experiments, otherwise it is obviously not setup correctly.

If you do it right you are squarely in the center of the optimal zone the system can manage, it should be able to offer some minimal flexibility.

There is also the matter that anyone can place weights differently under the wing and the wing can also be moved accordingly by the mentioned inch or two.

Just because it is possible to do something with millimeter precision does not mean you have to.

I'm sorry but that's just wrong. If you were doing more serious dives, with stages as well as main tanks, you'd notice it more. As it stands it seems you're just not really aware of your trim and balance.

If you think so you are free to do so. I am not much interested in your opinion however.
As I already told you someone calling his own dives 'serious' is not someone I can take seriously (as long as he can't and does not try to prove it at least).

Sidemount can be used by people who take diving (and their own skills) seriously too, but that's not exclusive.

Someone who thinks that diving with stages is even 'allowed' to feel much different regarding trim, should probably try to do something differently.

---------- Post added August 24th, 2014 at 08:57 PM ----------

Cut a new T-Weight System spine piece today. I did not want to shorten the original one.
The new one is a foot shorter and just long enough to fold over once instead of several times.

The Razor now looks like a different system with the exposed shoulder plate.
Wing still feels a bit low, but the dumpvalve and inflator are at the positions recommended in the manual.

Razor 2.1 upgrade done, and finished successfully - I think at least. :cool2:

Took just two checkout dives to get right and I only modified the tank rigging after initial setup.
With the T-Weight system cut to size now for the third dive everything feels 'just right' and looks much more streamlined.

It was a lot of fun to do some of the experiments with a bit more attention to detail than I have gotten used to because of this thread.
I did not use any heavy tanks or big ones, only my little 7l aluminum pair.
Loosened the crotch strap a little bit (got a recommendation of 'three fingers more than needed' - very good recommendation), pulled the hip D-Rings up to a more comfortable position that way, did some small modifications on the pouch and the equipment attachments.
I had been missing that part of sidemount in the last few month :cool3:

However, I know for a fact that the SMS100 and SMS75 are two of the most common systems in opening up Madison's deep section and completing that surveying. None of those guys are dealers or sell gear at all.

Where did you get this information? The most common systems are completely custom sidemount harnesses and backmount.

Where did you get this information? The most common systems are completely custom sidemount harnesses and backmount.

I was diving with a lot of the guys in the process of doing it.

I know at least two of them are diving HEAVILY-modified Razors (modified to reduce the beach-ball effect) and those look really good.

I was diving with a lot of the guys in the process of doing it.

I know at least two of them are diving HEAVILY-modified Razors (modified to reduce the beach-ball effect) and those look really good.
I don't mean to call you out, but who exactly are you talking about?

Back
Top Bottom