Rat Bastards wiped out my bank account!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This sucks . . . I can't help with anything other then spreading this number around . . . maybe we can use all his monthly minutes up and cost him hundreds . . . IJS . . .

Probably not a good idea just yet. Annoying them won't help the OP's chances of getting a resolution if it's some sort of innocent mistake.

Last year I had the same thing happen. My bank (Citizens Business Bank) immediately closed my account and opened a new one. After I made a Police report they put the money back into my account.

It was a huge pain sorting out the pending checks and bills but everyone was really understanding.

Thanks for all the tips!

Here's where things stand now:
CU notified
Card canceled
Visa notified/report filed
LEO notified/report filed
Credit bureau's notified
Called "Danny" several times today already--left message....
FTC notified/report filed

As far as how it happened, I have no clue. Haven't been to NC, never heard of the listed company or "Danny." Usually don't use my debit card for anything online except for an occasional pizza order, etc. Just in case though, I cleared history/cookies and reset firewall/wireless security access.

There was a case awhile back where a waitress was taking CC numbers from customers and getting a free ride.

I guess there is a slight possibility that this is an innocent mistake. I know it is possible, although highly unlikely, that a number was keyed wrong or written down wrong. Having been in retail, I know that getting one number off usually results in a bad card number not another account. Also, it was not multiple charges to test the water, just someone jumping off into the deep end with one big cannonball belly flop of a charge!

Last edited:
Identity theft is getting out of hand. Years before the "computer age" I got my checks stolen in the mail. That took about 3 months to get my name cleared etc. It is a mess and I highly recommend getting identity protection from this point. I use Lifelock http://www.lifelock.com/default.aspx?promocode=cj .

These kind of thieves can get your numbers from your computer, debit machine withdrawls, and from the shady people working the service industry. This is going to take alot of footwork on your part, but be dilligent, it seems now they do credit checks for employment and also for security clearance. The faster this can be fixed the better.

I wish you the best!
Carolyn:shark2:

Thanks for all the tips!

Here's where things stand now:
CU notified
Card canceled
Visa notified/report filed
LEO notified/report filed
Credit bureau's notified
Called "Danny" several times today already--left message....
FTC notified/report filed

As far as how it happened, I have no clue. Haven't been to NC, never heard of the listed company or "Danny." Usually don't use my debit card for anything online except for an occasional pizza order, etc. Just in case though, I cleared history/cookies and reset firewall/wireless security access.

I guess there is a slight possibility that this is an innocent mistake. I know it is possible, although highly unlikely, that a number was keyed wrong or written down wrong. Having been in retail, I know that getting one number off usually results in a bad card number not another account. Also, it was not multiple charges to test the water, just someone jumping off into the deep end with one big cannonball belly flop of a charge!

#1 - Keep a hold of the hope it was a typed in error. It happens.
#2 - what is "notified"? If you haven't put it in writing, you haven't "notified". You must notify in writing to cover yourself under the law (federal). You must state
  • (a) neither you nor anyone authorized by you authorized the transaction;
    (b) the amount, to whom, transaction number, the date, etc. of the transaction that you know of . . ;
    (c) the Law Enforcment case #, and contact info at the LE;
    (d) what you want them to do . . this is very important - bank, I want you to recredit my account until you finish investigating; FTC, I want you to file on my behalf;

Recommend you do a boilerplate and send the same to all.
#3 - credit bureaus - request copy of of your credit report. You are allowed FREE copies from each bureau if you report identify theft and file an LE #
Also, consider putting a credit freeze on your account. It is a mild PITA to get credit when the freeze is on, but worth it.
#4 - If you can get fax numbers, faxes are legal notification.
#5 - If you have the firm's fax number, or can find it, send that same letter to the firm.
#6 - Send a copy of the letter to your State's, and the perp's State's Attorney General.

Be prepared to follow up if this is resolved as a mistake.
Request legal action if it is not resolved within 10 business days. That Visa 10-day thing? That's how long firms get to investigate and fix errors.
TRACK YOUR COSTS. Fax costs. Loans you had to get while they had your money. You can go after them to reimburse you every penny.

I will be watching this one.
I am embroiled in something sorta similar right now.
Chug

Credit Union couldn't give me anymore info than what I saw online with my account except it was my debt card that was used. Credit union says that I have to make the effort to contact the party and try to talk to them. First order of business, card was canceled. Second, research the info that I have. I have the business name or at least what shows up on my statement, and the phone number. First call went straight to voice mail. Second call, man answered and he told me he would research it an call me back today/tomorrow. No call back today, so we will see.....

That's the oddest request I have heard in awhile. That's their job! The ease of doing business with checking accounts, credit cards and debit cards has much more to do with bank's and merchant's profit margins than our convienence. Surly the bank has their own fraud department to make contact with such perpetrators. I had the same thing happen to me last year for $3K including fraudulent electronic checks made payable to Walmart, etc. The funds were put bank into my account the next day but of course I had to submit to a phone interview in order for them to verify my innocence....

Identity theft is getting out of hand. Years before the "computer age" I got my checks stolen in the mail. That took about 3 months to get my name cleared etc.

Let's not even talk about check issues. Had this issue too several years ago--before ID theft was a big issue. Someone broke into my car, stole my DL, broke into another persons car, stole there checkbook. Went to their bank (guy who had checkbook stolen), wrote a check to me (had my DL), for 1500 cash. teller went to check signatures, came back and he was gone but he was nice enough to leave my DL. Guess who they came to arrest, guess who had charges filed against them, guess who had to fight this for 6mo to get it cleared up. I'll give you a hint--it wasn't the thief...

But anyway, to answer Jax, what I mean by "notify" is reports have been filed (i.e. hardcopy) with my credit union, with VISA, with local LEO, all credit bureau's (3) and with FTC. FTC and credit bureau's were filed online, but I have the "official confirmation" from they saying that I did so.
But, I do like the idea of contacting my AG, and the state's AG where it happened. I'll followup with the faxes and such as well. Thanks for the advice.

Tracking expenses--yea, good idea....:wink:
Road trip to NC...got couple on my Extreme duty tires (3600psi cold),two had to be replaced...had to by new rainsuit from DUI since I tore it while changing my tire 3600psi tires...:D:D

How can the bank or visa or mastercard the clearing houses for the transaction NOT have the address and bank routing number and account name and number to find this person???????? It is odd that they have had to pay the money into a account but don't have the information?

... I want you to recredit my account until you finish investigating; FTC, I want you to file on my behalf;
Recommend you do a boilerplate and send the same to all...

Jax,

Got a couple ?'s for you. Not sure what you mean by "recredit" and "boilerplate" Could you explain. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom