rash on neck from latex seal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Burner

Contributor
Reaction score
Can anyone give me some adivse on how to solve this?
Every time I dive my drysuit I get a rash right where the end of the seal was on my neck.
I don't get anything on my wrists.

Three option come to mind.

Switch to neoprene

Loosen the seal

Upon surfacing roll right and vent all excessive air from the suit.

Latex seal have a smaller contact area and any air traped in the suit is force into the neck area at the surface. Since the pressure of the seal is on a smaller area the mark appears.

Those who use neoprene don't have this problem due to the large contact area spreading out the force.

I'm sure somebody will have a good trick up their sleeve.

Hallmac

It's better than talc as a lubricant (doesn't turn into mud) and less irritating than baby shampoo.

Steven

As stated, a lubricant such as KY jelly or baby oil (not shampoo) applied liberally would help

Also if wearing the suit all day make sure theres no grit or sand on the seal, ive had that a few times and had a nasty rash.

I wouldnt recommend switching to neoprene seals as literally everyone i know that dives with them say they leak more than latex.

String once bubbled...
As stated, a lubricant such as KY jelly or baby oil (not shampoo) applied liberally would help

I thought that baby oil was a no-no with any latex products

:wink:

Dom

I'll give ky jelly a try
Thanks for the tips.

You could also have an allergic reaction to the glue used in seams etc. If this is the case you could either try wearing something underneath or perhaps taping the seams.

RB

I end up with a rash if I rush and don`t take time to make sure the neck seak is flat - it rolls back on its self ... rubs .. next thing you look like you`ve had a near miss with the Boston Strangler

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom