Rare Eagle Ray Behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think maybe laying low and hiding from the hammer head jajajajaja - someone needs to tell her to hide better...

Seen Mrs. Hammer this morning, pinche eye level 15' away and my camera was on the boat........ She's a big un!!!

Pinche 🤣

Haven't heard that in a couple decades since moving away from los angeles
I grew up in LA and lived there until I was 25, had not heard pinche until today, learned something new :)

Santa Rosa

Palancar caves today

I seen it at 80', it rubbed on an overhang 100' straight in front of me about 8:05 or 8:10 in the morning. It wasn't skitterish at all, was coming straight at me, veered just a little bit and went right past at a casual pace....

What time at caves and how deep?

Someone made a comment that it might be cleaning itself after coming up from the deep......

Hope the eagle ray is OK- Would be curious to learn more about that behavior or what is going on.

Looks like me on morning dive after going too hard at the Casa Mexicana breakfast buffet!

Reactions: JFS
it looks constipated

I'm wondering if it wasn't trying to give birth? I don't know much about Eagle Rays but I do know they give live birth and often stop swimming to do that. I also know they give birth to as few as one ray (up to 4) at a time. I can't tell from the video if the abdomen is distended or anything, so who knows? I don't even know if that thing is a female! Haha! :) Just wondering if that's a possibility. It seemed to swim away just fine when it wanted to.

I'm wondering if it wasn't trying to give birth? I don't know much about Eagle Rays but I do know they give live birth and often stop swimming to do that. I also know they give birth to as few as one ray (up to 4) at a time. I can't tell from the video if the abdomen is distended or anything, so who knows? I don't even know if that thing is a female! Haha! :) Just wondering if that's a possibility. It seemed to swim away just fine when it wanted to.
I think they give birth in shallow areas like a lot of rays and sharks do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom