Rare Eagle Ray Behaviour

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JFS

Contributor
Reaction score
The other day I recorded this behaviour of a eagle ray. Dont know if it was sleeping or what it was doing? I spotted it from about 200 feet away and it was motionless in the sand around 75 feet deep in Columbia reef. I thought it was dead at first but then spotted its gills moving. Anyone ever seen eagle rays doing this?

i have seen this a couple of times around Tunich some years ago. Not common behavior.

But have you seen what a monstrosity those things are

The other day I recorded this behaviour of a eagle ray. Dont know if it was sleeping or what it was doing? I spotted it from about 200 feet away and it was motionless in the sand around 75 feet deep in Columbia reef. I thought it was dead at first but then spotted its gills moving. Anyone ever seen eagle rays doing this?

From what I can find online, it does not appear that is sleeping behavior - guessing it might be sick?
:sadness:

Spotted Eagle Ray:

“Spotted eagle rays, like all eagle rays, are active swimmers and do not lie motionless on the seafloor.”

The most amazing part of this post is that you spotted it from 200ft away!

I think maybe laying low and hiding from the hammer head jajajajaja - someone needs to tell her to hide better...

Seen Mrs. Hammer this morning, pinche eye level 15' away and my camera was on the boat........ She's a big un!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom