Ranger Fit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AggieDad

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have had a Ranger for almost three years and love it. I basically am having a bit of a confusion issue in fitting it on my body. It is an extra large as am I. I have always put it one by tightening the cumberbund first and then pulling the shoulders straps tight. I have always had a rolling to the right problem and yes my weights are balanced. I have moved the tank up and down with no change in the feeling of always rolling to the right. If I stop and hover I will slowly roll over on my back and sink. I dive with steel 100 in fresh water and normally with a 3 mm only use about 4 lbs of weight. I am in Cozumel now )(and it takes 26 lbs with these aluminum 80's(and the DM that we are using suggested that I tighten the shoulder straps first and then finally the cumberbund and that seems to help a little. I have been adjusting the shoulder straps by loosening one and tightening the other to achieve a non rolling state. For me to get rid of the rolling feeling I have to have the BC so tight that it cuts into my upper back/lower neck area. BTW, I have an Air2 octo and it has to be very high on my back for me to be able to comfortably put the octo in my mouth.
How and why does the sequence of donning matter...does it matter?

AD,

Order of adjustment can make a difference, but it sounds like you are doing it right. Waistband first, chest strap second and shoulder straps third.

Not everybody is the same shape so there is some varience involved.

I'd need more information to figure out a proper fit.
Height, weight, waist measurement, etc.

Also a tank can be cinched down on a slight slant, if not careful. Could this be part of the right rolling problem?

To my knowledge there is no commonly available steel 100 that has a 22 Lb difference in ballast with an 80 alum, even when changing from fresh to salt. It might help to do a weight check in a pool or other confined water location.

Lastly big guys can get extended corrugated hoses for a longer AIR situation. My dive shop put 2 together for a really huge guy once.

Chad

Chad
Thanks for the reply. So far down here using the chest strap first then the cumberbund (all while seated) seems to allow me to feel more secure and being able to put the octo in my mouth without problem. At home, in a fresh water lake with a PST E-7-100, a 3mm full suit, I use 4 lbs total and am slightly negative when close to empty. I am thinking that a few bad habits have come into play in my diving style which have caused the rolling, mainly posture of not having my legs relatively straight and not having the BC tight enough which allowed it to shift. The DM has pointed out that I tend to keep my legs slightly bent up under me and my shoulders hunched forward. He feels that this makes me have to strain to look up and keep finning to adjust for being out of trim. One other thing he has pointed out and my son commented on also is I use the bottom dumps to release air (seems easier to me to roll head down) and have no real control over how much air comes out. With more concentration on my posture, relaxing a little bit more I was able to do much better on my dives today.
Really just curious as to how and why using different securing methods might work.

I'm sure you've checked already but I figure i'll say it just in case, have a buddy watch you sinch your shoulder straps and make sure you are doing it evenly, its very easy to do one to far compared to the other.

The waist band is removable/adjustable. There are 2 plastic screws that hold each in place. Maybe they are not adjusted to the same lenght and one is shorter than the other?

Reading through the current replys I completely agree with rakkis with regard to making sure the waist band is equal on both sides. If you tend to center the ends when you fasten it, you might be pulling the tank toward one side causing the roll you describe. This would be even more pronounced if you're using trim pockets.

I hear you load and clear about setting up on the boat. In my opinion, gearing up a Zeagle BCD while seated does not allow you to get the waist band low enough. Zeagle makes a point that adjusting your center of buoyancy is key. I tend to gear up a bit loosely aboard then as soon as possible loosen the shoulders and waist and pull the whole rig down into proper position and snug it all up.

Both Rakkis and Doug make good points I agree with gearing up loosely standing up and snugging it up also repositioning one last time once you hit the water helps also you may find the crotch strap for the zeagles may help keep your rig a little lower on your body I almost wonder if your bc is riding a little high on your body causing easier rollover . Most crotch straps can be uncomfortable but I find with the Zeagle split saddle strap in ! inch you dont realy know its there as it more runs up the inner thigh than on the boys. just a thought.

Thanks to all for the replies. I checked the cumberbund being even and the shoulder straps also. They are okay. I have decided to go with a crotch strap as soon as I get home. Dives were much better today. I keep playing around with adjusting this strap vs. this one and have settled on a basic fit. The BC does feel that it rides up and I swim with my thumbs in the two bottom D rings and keep it pulled down. If I loosen the shoulder straps to allow the BC to lower on my body then when I try to get the air 2 octo in it is a strain. Just trying to make it safer for me in case of...

That's odd, I have a ranger and I constantly roll right if I dont adjust the weights. I always use less on the right side. If I have any air in the bc I always have to lean to the left until I hear the air move a little to the other side, then I feel level.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom