Raja ampat sorong flights help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You wouldn't hesitate with garuda brcause you think they are reliable enough? Not too risky that they will cancel the flight?
Yeah- They are as average as pretty much any other airline in the world. I think far more reliable than United, American and Air Canada. If you have the time and the means, and for whatever reason didn't book one continuous ticket back home, stay in Jakarta a day or three to be safe. Or maybe better yet buy some good travel insurance if your return ticket is not flexible either.

I travel to Indonesia for the first time in November and return in December. After extensive research, I decided to only fly Garuda. I arrive in Sorong a day early, and same thing for Jakarta on my departure.

I cannot cite any examples of bad experiences with other airlines personally, since I haven't even been to Indonesia yet, but I heard enough stories to make up my mind.

Suppose on-time/cancelation is what you are concerned about. In that case, websites such as FlightAware are available to check historical data that is more meaningful and reliable IMHO than personal stories because people tend only to remember and be loud about bad experiences.

Thanks!
One more question :
Does anyone know if garuda is checking the baggage through for connecting flights?

Or will I also have to retrieve my bag in Jakarta if I fly from Bali to sorong, with transit in Jakarta?
Unfortunately I can never find these informations on the airlines web pages.
Thank you

Thanks!
One more question :
Does anyone know if garuda is checking the baggage through for connecting flights?

Or will I also have to retrieve my bag in Jakarta if I fly from Bali to sorong, with transit in Jakarta?
Unfortunately I can never find these informations on the airlines web pages.
Thank you
If you fly Bali/Jakarta/Sorong on one ticket, I think your bag will go with you. It's always good to check the bag tag and see what it says. Also, asking at ticket pickup to clarify, if they can understand you.
The other thing that nobody has mentioned with Garuda vs all the other airlines... Garuda gives you 40kg of baggage if you say you have dive gear. The other airlines make you pay, and I just paid $200ish for my 21 kg of overage. So the flight ended up costing me $400 one way (but Garuda didn't fly the route I needed.)
I am a big fan of Garuda because it is as reliable as they can be. Best airline in Indonesia, IMO. They also serve food on all the flights I've been on with them. They also are Sky Team, which I have Platinum/Elite status and their associated airlines tend to be good quality.
I've flown the 12:30AM flight from Jakarta to Sorong 3 times so far, it's been on time, baggage arrived happily. I just got back from Indonesia today, and flew Maumere (Lion) -> Kupang (Lion) -> Surabaya (Lion) -> Jakarta (Garuda, had to get my bags, convey them to the international terminal and check in with new airline) -> Incehon (Delta/Korean Air) -> Detroit (Delta, had to get my bags to go through customs, really obvious because everyone is doing it -> Chicago. Delays on Lion air flight of 2 hours that made me worried that I would miss my connection in Jakarta, but I made it with an hour and a half to spare.

Early morning flights are more likely to be on schedule.

Later flights are subject to various delays, interruptions, etc. This includes Garuda. They are the airline that had me in Jakarta when i was supposed to be direct to Bali from Makassar.

Also, be very diligent about checking your departure gate.

They change the gate often and don't announce it or if it's announced, it's in Indonesian.

Perhaps it will all go well. I'm merely suggesting that you stay alert.

Early morning flights are more likely to be on schedule.

Later flights are subject to various delays, interruptions, etc. This includes Garuda. They are the airline that had me in Jakarta when i was supposed to be direct to Bali from Makassar.

Also, be very diligent about checking your departure gate.

They change the gate often and don't announce it or if it's announced, it's in Indonesian.

Perhaps it will all go well. I'm merely suggesting that you stay alert.

I've only been to Indonesia once and gate change happened to me. I'm normally one to watch and go with the flow, but I would suggest asking at the new gate where your flight is leaving from. Like I mentioned, there's the gangway and possibly, from the tarmac, which is a side door at the gate.

If you fly Bali/Jakarta/Sorong on one ticket, I think your bag will go with you. It's always good to check the bag tag and see what it says. Also, asking at ticket pickup to clarify, if they can understand you.
The other thing that nobody has mentioned with Garuda vs all the other airlines... Garuda gives you 40kg of baggage if you say you have dive gear. The other airlines make you pay, and I just paid $200ish for my 21 kg of overage. So the flight ended up costing me $400 one way (but Garuda didn't fly the route I needed.)
I am a big fan of Garuda because it is as reliable as they can be. Best airline in Indonesia, IMO. They also serve food on all the flights I've been on with them. They also are Sky Team, which I have Platinum/Elite status and their associated airlines tend to be good quality.
I've flown the 12:30AM flight from Jakarta to Sorong 3 times so far, it's been on time, baggage arrived happily. I just got back from Indonesia today, and flew Maumere (Lion) -> Kupang (Lion) -> Surabaya (Lion) -> Jakarta (Garuda, had to get my bags, convey them to the international terminal and check in with new airline) -> Incehon (Delta/Korean Air) -> Detroit (Delta, had to get my bags to go through customs, really obvious because everyone is doing it -> Chicago. Delays on Lion air flight of 2 hours that made me worried that I would miss my connection in Jakarta, but I made it with an hour and a half to spare.
Hi,
I have questions concerning the booking of excess luggage flying from Vienna to Sorong and back:
I fly from Vienna - Doha- Jakarta with Qatar Air (already booked), then from Jakarta to Sorong with Garuda (the only leg not included in Qatar Air and not yet booked), and return Sorong - Jakarta - Doha - Vienna (also already booked with Qatar, the hole thing is a multistop flight, so I have more time in the stopovers, and it was much cheaper, than booking all the legs separately).

My questions:
- How did you inform Garuda you have dive gear? This concerns the flight from Jakarta to Sorong at 00:30, I am going to book this online.

- Anyone knows, how I can add excess luggage on my flight home? Since it's a shared operations flight, I probably cannot book it online with Qatar and/or Garuda. So I have to buy it probably directly on the Airports. 25 kg will cost around 500$. Any idea, if it's possible to get it cheaper, because it's dive gear? Or some hidden online options?

I would be very thankfull for any information, we will be on LOB in RA and have to bring the gear so excess luggage is not avoidable.

Hi,
I have questions concerning the booking of excess luggage flying from Vienna to Sorong and back:
I fly from Vienna - Doha- Jakarta with Qatar Air (already booked), then from Jakarta to Sorong with Garuda (the only leg not included in Qatar Air and not yet booked), and return Sorong - Jakarta - Doha - Vienna (also already booked with Qatar, the hole thing is a multistop flight, so I have more time in the stopovers, and it was much cheaper, than booking all the legs separately).

My questions:
- How did you inform Garuda you have dive gear? This concerns the flight from Jakarta to Sorong at 00:30, I am going to book this online.

- Anyone knows, how I can add excess luggage on my flight home? Since it's a shared operations flight, I probably cannot book it online with Qatar and/or Garuda. So I have to buy it probably directly on the Airports. 25 kg will cost around 500$. Any idea, if it's possible to get it cheaper, because it's dive gear? Or some hidden online options?

I would be very thankfull for any information, we will be on LOB in RA and have to bring the gear so excess luggage is not avoidable.
No need (and I dont think there is a way) to book your dive gear online. When you check in with Garuda and plop your bags on the scale/conveyer belt just tell them you have diving equipment. They might ask to take a peek, but probably will not. Done. Easy. The sporting equipment allowance is included in every Garuda ticket.

Hi,

My questions:

Why did you purchase the Jakarta to Sorong as a separate leg? Qatar is part of one world and should allow you to have a single ticket from Vienna to Sorong.
Qatar allow you to have a luggage of 25kg + 7kg hand luggage (on economy classic). You can see excess luggage fee on this link :

https://www.qatarairways.com/en/baggage/excess.html

I don't think they will differentiate dive gears with standard exceed weights, so be prepare to pay if you exceed the 32kg in total.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom