Raja ampat sorong flights help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

finn3

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!
I'm planning a trip to raja ampat in November.
I'm not sure yet about which flights are a good idea to get to Sorong.
I would fly to Sorong probably from Bali, maybe from Surabaya. From Bali there is an AirAsia Flight with only 95 minutes stop in Jakarta.
So that might be a bit close. But does anyone know, if I have to get my bag back in Jakarta and check it in again for the flight to Sorong? Or will it be checked through? If I have to retrieve it and check it in again, this would be obviously too close.

And on my way back I'm also not entirely sure. There is a Garuda Flight in the early morning, with which I would have about 8 hours in Jakarta until my flight home departy. This should be enough, but I'm afraid of a spontaneous cancellation. Does this happen often? Otherwise there is also an AirBatik Flight the same day, 2 hours later, which should still be enough stopover time to get my flight in Jakarta. Otherwise I would have to fly a day earlier, which also seems a bit much.

So any advice and experience here would be very much appreciated :)

Thanks!

Welcome to Scuba Board.
This is Indonesia, so flight cancellations, time and route changes, non-stop flights becoming flights with stopovers (so called "Indonesian non-stop"), delays etc are if not everyday, quite common things.
You can search older posts to find a lot of relevant info.
Generally, it all depends on how crucial is your schedule, eg if you are having a LoB to catch, or expensive long haul flights home, it is common practice to allow at least 24hours buffer. If it is just for leisure traveling around I wouldn't worry too much.
For your particular requests flying from Bali or Surabaya to Sorong through Jakarta, doesn't make much sense. You should be able to find better and cheaper flights through Makassar (southwest Sulawesi). Use a website like skyscanner to find alternative routes.
For your return flights, 8 hours in Jakarta seems to me not enough. Garuda in general is generally considered to have priority over other airlines hence they are supposed to have fewer delays, but still. If all thinks work as they should you will make it, but who knows? It is up to you how much risk you will to take.
All the best.

I did a Komodo liveaboard in 2018. I flew Garuda, since it had the best reputation for both timeliness and baggage allowance. Baggage allowance was good, no unexpected extra. Flight out, from Bali to Labuan Bajo was on-time, though the gate was changed while waiting and the gate was serving *three* flights, one connected to the gangway, one on the tarmac, and the next flight. I had to run to the gate, which fortunately wasn't far, and be very assertive as to which plane I was to get on; it was the one on the tarmac. I made my flight but I knew there was another person behind me, who didn't seem too concerned about the gate change. I never saw that person board the flight. For the flight back, there was a two hour delay. They do give you snacks for the inconvenience. Some other people on my liveaboard had a four hour delay.

If you're meeting with a liveaboard, I'd recommend getting there a day ahead too. For the way back, especially catching an international flight, probably a day as well.

I try to book flights and the diving over a German travel agency, this way, I push the responsibility over them. 95mins in Jakarta is barely enough. You need to collect your luggage and check in again. In my view this is overly risky, especially if you are not using one of the major airlines. The shortest stopover I had in Jakarta was 2:40 and that was with Qatar+Garuda, it worked out ok but I was definitely a little nervous. It is cheap insurance to arrive a day early, especially you have a LoB to catch. I also stayed on a day hotel in Jakarta near airport because stopover was long. You can catch up with your sleep and swim in the pool a little. Plan extra time, especially you are flying Batik, Lionair etc.

I do whatever it takes to ensure my arrival in Sorong approx 24 hours before boarding.

I'll spend a night in an airport hotel at Jakarta or hangout in the airport itself for hours to ensure that I'm on a flight arriving in Sorong, a day before the lob departure.

It's all an attempt at insurance. By trying to get there a day early, you're doubling your chances because if for some reason, your flight gets rerouted or cancelled, you've still got the next day to get there.
Even though everyone of my trips have so far gone relatively smoothly, I will always feel better safe than sorry.

Once I'm in my Sorong hotel, I can relax. Not much to see in Sorong, so I can tuck into bed and catch up on much needed sleep preparing for boarding and departure of the lob.

I will fly in March 23 from Vienna to Sorong. Probably taking Qatar to Doha, one night stopover there, then Doha to Jacarta (3 h 30 min break, I have to checkin the hole luggage again), then to Sorong. Arrive early morning. Probably will stay two nights there bevore LOB starts.
One the way back I fly over Manado (Sorong - Manado Lion Air) and stay in Lembeh a couple of days.
Fom Manado home going to Jacarta, also Lion Air. There I have 13 h break in daytime (does not make me happy, it is a long time, even in a day hotel). And maybe still not enough if Lion Air doesnt work. From Jacarta again Qatar via Doha.
Or I go via Singapure. I would like to have Stopover in Singapure.

I always prefer to go through Singapore but even that often ends up with time spent in Jakarta. My last semi-direct flight to Bali from Sorong through Makassar, iirc, ended up with me unexpectedly cooling my heels in Jakarta for about 4 hours.

I wish you the best of luck.

I don't have to get on a Liveaboard in Sorong, will just go to Kri Island and do daytrips with Soul Scuba.
So I just want to get on a flight from Bali that has a realistic transit time, to change flights in Jakarta.
If I have to get my bagge and check it back in with AirAsia, that's the information I needed.. Then I will need more time.

For my flight back to Jakarta to catch my international flight I'm not sure yet. I understand that getting a Garuda flight in the same morning with 8 hours transit time can be risky.
I could also get on a flight a day before (when I take the 9 am ferry to Sorong) with lion air or batik air, departing at 02.45 and 4.45 pm. Those are supposed to be direct flights according to Skyscanner, on tiket.com the informatíon says there is a stopover in UPG for 40 minutes or 1 hour.
Does a stopover mean some people can get out, who want to go to UPG, but the same plane is gonna continue to fly to Jakarta? Because tiket.com shows also "transits" in other cases. So I guess stopover must mean something else.

Oh and does anyone know if you get your money back, if Lion Air or Batik Air cancels a flight and you have to book another one?

Thank you!

1. I would not hesitate to book an eight-hour transit time in Jakarta with Garuda.
2. Pretty sure those flights land in Makassar for a minute and then move to Jakarta. Do you have to get out during the stopover? Maybe. Depends on their... I have no idea what it depends on.
3. Lion Air and Batik are the same airlines. Batik used to be their upscale brand, but that isnt the case anymore. Will they refund your canceled tickets? Yes- but it will take time, require persistence, and be annoying as f...

You wouldn't hesitate with garuda brcause you think they are reliable enough? Not too risky that they will cancel the flight?

Back
Top Bottom