Raja Ampat or Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rickeyf413

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm planning my first trip to the pacific and I think I've narrowed it down to Raja Ampat or Wakatobi. I'm looking for some help deciding.

I'll be diving (Underwater Photography - Macro and Wide Angle) and my wife will probably just snorkel. See certified but doesn't like going below 50ft.

I'm hoping someone can share their experiences and opinions on the two locations.

Also if anyone feels like other locations in Pacific would be better suited for us please let me know.

Thanks in advance for everyone's help

Good reefs & critters in Wakatobi, & generally easy diving. Somewhat regimented, but resort is very well run. Good reefs & critters in RA (thou large schools of fish are becoming fished out). Be prepared for currents here (can be strong at times). RA is best on liveaboard, but there are now several resorts on Kri & Mansuar (sp). Wakatobi would be better for snorkeling due to calmer water conditions.

I have not found Raja being fished out. I have not done a LOB and stay at Sorido in the Papua area of RA and find the marine life more than abundant. Wakatobi diving was just OK....pigmy seahorses and more pigmy seahorses very well run operation....I have 4 reports on RA and 1 on Wakatobi posted on the board....If you are into photography besides RA look at Lembeh Straits, Bali, Bangka and East Timor is close by. Anywhere else in the Pacific....I like Palau!

I have been to both Raja Ampat and Wakatobi. I have not snorkeled at either. Diving was excellent at both, though better throughout Raja Ampat. The best diving I have ever done is in the neighborhood of Misool Eco Resort, though I was on a liveaboard when I dove in this area. I also stayed at Sorido Bay, and the diving at was amazing. I have heard that the snorkeling at Wakatobi is very good, although I have not experienced it myself. If it were me, I would explore what the snorkeling is like at some of the Raja Ampat resorts. If there are good snorkeling possibilities, I would choose Raja Ampat; if not, go with Wakatobi.

I've dived in both Wakatobi (4x) and RA (2x). Wakatobi would be the place for you in my opinion. The Wakatobi house reef is among the best in the world, with easy access. RA doesn't have many snorkeling opportunities, and your wife would be stuck on a cramped boat for a week or more. On the other hand, RA has superb diving also. Wakatobi is not known for big animals, whereas on an RA live-aboard you will probably see mantas and maybe a shark or two. I believe the photo ops in Wakatobi or RA will be about equal.

When people say Raja Ampat they may be thinking it's some small, local area. It isn't, it is a very large region: 20,000 sq miles + for approx. boundaries (though of course w/ islands and desirable dive spots we aren't talking that there are 20K sq miles of ocean to dive). We didn't notice a lack of big schools of fish. Also, consider that there are 1,300+ species of coral fish and roughly 70% of the world's known coral species there. Liveaboards typically split trips into a northern route or a southern route--we did the northern in December '09.
RAFussiliers.jpg

A good liveaboard is a great way to see a part of this variety. Since your wife is certified but doesn't like to dive below 50" she is in luck. There is so much to see at any depth she won't feel she is missing anything. Our best dives seemed to be at this depth or shallower.
RAstaghorn.jpg

Yes, occasional currents but depending on who you dive with you'll get briefed about them and can opt out. Most good boats will put a dive guide into the water just before a briefing to relate the conditions right at that time and it's not like every dive has to deal with them. On a 9 day trip we hit strong currents 3 times and other than the very last dive there was always a reef cranny, wall etc. to get behind when you didn't want to drift. We were also issued reef hooks if desired.

Haven't been to Wakatobi and certainly it's got some serious attractions. If you prefer a resort approach certainly you should go there. (Can't say there is the lesser of two evils to choose here--how can you go wrong with these choices?) What impressed me about RA though was how often I came up from a dive, looked around and felt like I was diving where few others have been. Of course that feeling may have been simply because I had just seen so many fish and critters for the first time. Ah jeez, way to go. Now I want to go back. Again...:eyebrow: // ww
RAfish.jpg

Like others have done both and for a non-diving spouse I think Wakatobi would be best. There are trip reports, galleries and Multimedia shows for each at our website. I got a little carried away with WA at Wakatobi but there is great Macro and when we go back going to commit to doing more.

I've been to both places twice and prefer Raja over Wakatobi but if your wife is snorkeling I think you be better off at Wakatobi. I'm heading to Wakatobi for my third time in April mostly cause I won a free 7 day trip but I did extend it to 10 days.

Wakatobi's house reef is outstanding, and there is a current that often runs along it. Your wife can either snorkel inside the reef top, and have no current, or have one of the shuttle boat guys run her up-current, where she can drift right back to the resort along the edge of the reef . It's also a great drift dive, and can be repeated at different depths, from 5 meters on down. You will certainly not suffer for photo ops there either.

Back
Top Bottom