Raja Ampat or Wakatobi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We have been to both. I think WAKATOBI sounds better for your needs.

We have a group going to WAKATOBI in late OCT. Still have a few spots, would you like to join us?

Great Stuff on Wakatobi. Thinking of a trip there in early June. Any feedback on conditions in the area that time of year?

Will

Last bit of accommodation advice required please
icosm14.gif

Wakatobi have come back to me with the following final availability:

Fri. 28th Sept – Fri. 5th Oct (7 nights)
Fri. 12th – Mon. 22nd Oct (10 nights)
Wed. 17th - Sat. 27th Oct (10 nights)

Select Bungalows only. No Garden or Beach Bungalows are still available for the above dates. I haven't bothered asking about the Villas.

Questions:

- are there any more thoughts on 7 nights vs 10 nights;
- are any of the above dates “better” than others; and
- does anyone have any thoughts on which Select Bungalow to request?

Thanks again everyone!!

Fri. 12th – Mon. 22nd Oct (10 nights)

October best month dates middle October and 10 is always better than 7 :D

p.s how are the seahorses under harbour bridge

We chose 10 days, like I mentioned we wanted 12 days but it was booked solid :( For you it may be different, 7 days might be enough. Our travel to get there is quite a bit more extensive than yours :) If I'm traveling for 20 something hours... 7 days is NOT enough....LOL. One great aspect for us about the 12-22 dates, is the moon phase. New moon is on the 15th :wink:

In my view, and I've been to Wakatobi four times, seven days is not worth the long, long flight to Indonesia and the other hassles associated with travel. On the other hand, if you're doing an extended stay in Indonesia there are many other dive locations that are worth exploring, and each location is different from the others. I recommend the Tulamben wreck on Bali, which is always a good dive. Good luck!

Thanks for your input everyone!

I think Wakatobi will be a good introduction to Indonesian diving for us, and we look forward to great visibility in Sept/Oct.

When the new airport opens in Sorong (due at the end of 2012 I think?), which will make it a bit easier to get to Raja Ampat, we hope to head to Misool Eco Resort.

We have narrowed the dates down for Wakatobi to:

Friday 28th September to Friday 5th October: 7 nights
Friday 12th October to Monday 22nd October: 10 nights
Wednesday 17th October to Saturday 27th October: 10 nights

Only a Garden Bungalow or Select Bungalow is available for these dates, so the hardest decision will be should we go for 7 or 10 nights?

Any advice? Any thoughts on if 7 nights is too short, and does anyone have any experience with the Select Bungalows (i.e. are some better than others for view etc)?

In my view, and I've been to Wakatobi four times, seven days is not worth the long, long flight to Indonesia and the other hassles associated with travel.
I agree that the trip from the States to remote Indonesia would be too much trouble for a week of diving, but Little_turtle is in Sydney, about a 6 hour flight to Bali. And, as you indicated, just because the Wakatobi leg of the trip is only 7 days doesn't mean that's the end of the diving. It's easy to tack on some diving in Bali to make the travel more worthwhile. When I lived in NYC I hit Lembeh, Bali, and a liveaboard to Komodo all in one trip, using Singapore as my hub.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all of the valuable input!

I am definitely leaning towards 12th to 22nd October. And I agree, with the travel involved it's better to go for 10 nights instead of 7 (although I'm lucky to have a 6 hour flight to Bali from
Sydney rather than the long haul from the US
03.gif
).

Sideways, good point about the new moon being on 15th Oct. Apart from stronger currents, are there any other benefits/negatives associated with this?

P.S. TWIME, we haven't been able to spot any of the elusive Sydney Harbour seahorses yet, but definitely hope to over the coming months!

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate all of the valuable input!

I am definitely leaning towards 12th to 22nd October. And I agree, with the travel involved it's better to go for 10 nights instead of 7 (although I'm lucky to have a 6 hour flight to Bali from
Sydney rather than the long haul from the US
03.gif
).

Sideways, good point about the new moon being on 15th Oct. Apart from stronger currents, are there any other benefits/negatives associated with this?

P.S. TWIME, we haven't been able to spot any of the elusive Sydney Harbour seahorses yet, but definitely hope to over the coming months!

Well, for me there is... I absolutely LOVE the stars. I was recently out in the countryside in Pennsylvania visiting friends. I spent half the night every night taking pics of the stars :) I hear they're absolutely incredible at Wakatobi. Coming from Southern California, where we can't see anything due to the city lights, it's a big plus for me :) No Moon equals a bigger and brighter star field to photograph! Here are a couple I did in the country, first attempts. Now I have some knowledge to take some decent ones, and with subject matter like Wakatobi... I can't wait!!!!

star21of1.jpg

star11of1.jpg

hi everyone ,
has anyone been to patuna beach resort and dived with the wasage divers?
thanks in advance :blinking:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom