Raja Ampat Liveaboard Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the info! This has been very helpful. Probably going to shoot for a 10 day trip. What is the best time of the year to go, in your opinion?

From research notes I've been compiling:
"Live-aboard trips offered Oct. to May, the prime diving season; less rain, calmer seas & better viz. Mid.-June – Mid.-Sept. monsoon season – some live-aboards don’t go; south gets inaccessible but north and central parts remain accessible. Dan (Post #5) opined Dec. is the best time for Raja Ampat; he said (Post #17) good live-aboards usually fill up about 12 months ahead."

From my dive travel agent Tim Yeo regarding a possible Raja Ampat trip: "In addition, if this is your only trip to Indonesia, the best time to go is Nov – Mar. If your dates are flexible, I would definitely recommend going later in the year starting December."

Many LABs leave Raja for Komodo at the end of the supposed high season. Maybe why they say it's over ~April. Some stay - Dewi - others just float in the harbor.

Summer months clear water, our winter months - lots of stuff in the water, with lots of big stuff coming for dinner.

Papua Diving Resorts doesn't move, here is what they have to say.

What is the best time of year to visit?

I'm going to put in my vote for Mermaid. They have longer trips and it's a great boat to be on. I was on a cheaper Phinsi ship (now it has sunk, not while I was on board) and had definite concerns about its ability to handle in rough weather, and nowhere near as fast as the Mermaid.

I’ve been in Raja Ampat 8 times (5 on liveaboards & 3 in resorts). A good Phinisi boat to experience in diving there with delicious Indonesian food, great guides is Amira. I like wooden boat for quietness and artistic look. Raja Ampat tends to have flat seas, so wooden boat is fine to be on. Check out my trip report:

Raja Ampat Jan 2020 Trip Report

Another boat, that I plan to be back in Raja Ampat on in Feb 2022, is Blue Manta. It’s a huge & luxury metal boat. l was on it when I went to Banda Sea. I like their huge cabin space. It’s like a floating hotel.

Another good metal boat is Mermaid 1. I was on it for Bali-Komodo-Bali liveaboard trip. It has the best chefs among 20 liveaboards I have been on.
Update:

Raja Ampat was still closed in Feb 2022. So my trip was rescheduled to Feb 2024.

I ended up going to Similan in Feb 2022 on private yacht. We are going on the same yacht for Komodo this coming July/August and going to Raja Ampat in January 2023.

Just booked another trip to Raja Ampat on Mermaid II for Dec 4-12, 2022. So, I have 3 trips to Raja Ampat lined up for the next 2 years (Dec 2022, Jan 2023 & Feb 2024). :p

If you're doing December 2022 and January 2023, why not just stay there for 2 months? The airfare and length of travel is quite grueling.

If you're doing December 2022 and January 2023, why not just stay there for 2 months? The airfare and length of travel is quite grueling.
I wish I could stay that long. Will have family holiday activities to take care of on the 2nd half of December.

Actually I’ll be there for 3 weeks, from Nov 21 to Dec 12. I’ll be on Ambon-Banda-Ambon Ring of Fire trip with Pindito from Nov 21 to Dec 2 before boarding on Mermaid II.

I wish I could stay that long. Will have family holiday activities to take care of on the 2nd half of December.

Actually I’ll be there for 3 weeks, from Nov 21 to Dec 12. I’ll be on Ambon-Banda-Ambon Ring of Fire trip with Pindito from Nov 21 to Dec 2 before boarding on Mermaid II.

I am so jealous! Although I'm going to Bonaire from end of November to mid December so I really shouldn't be complaining. I need to cut back my travel adventures somewhat because my mom needs my help in New York so I split my time between home, New York, and my diving addiction.

Reactions: Dan
I suspect one of these days I'm going to become an expat to Indonesia or Philippines. That might be a 10-year goal for me.

Curious, why is no one mentioning the Arenui?
I was hoping for some gear recommendations from Men who dove off the Arenui— Do most guys use a 5mm due to the # of dives per day? Or is a 3/2 enough if you have some under layers to use? I’m booked for early March and I don’t really want to spend $600 for a 5 MM wetsuit when I have a 3/2 and a full Sharkskin. MY review of the sharkskin is it fits weird and it really stretches out like sloppy.

Back
Top Bottom