Raja Ampat Liveaboard Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for the reply? Did you not have the vest in Fiji? And how do you like the REACTIVE 3MM? I just ordered a 5MM and a 3MM but I think the 5 may be overkill for that area. I don’t get that cold but I do not go 4-5 times a day for ten day’s even in Cozumel.
I did not have the vest in Fiji as I expected warmer temps. I was fine in Taveuni, but it was a bit colder in Volivoli (and wickedly windy). A few people had the 5mm Reactive and were good (though added hoods towards the end). I really like the suit - fits well warm enough for most of my diving - but may pick up a 5mm Reactive as well at some point.

What was great was the Sharkskin Hoodie I picked up before the trip - was awesome to keep me warm between dives and on the way back in.

I did not have the vest in Fiji as I expected warmer temps. I was fine in Taveuni, but it was a bit colder in Volivoli (and wickedly windy). A few people had the 5mm Reactive and were good (though added hoods towards the end). I really like the suit - fits well warm enough for most of my diving - but may pick up a 5mm Reactive as well at some point.

What was great was the Sharkskin Hoodie I picked up before the trip - was awesome to keep me warm between dives and on the way back in.
Did you get a VEST/Hood Sharkskin?

In three weeks we're taking Maria 5mm full + 3mm vest, I'm full 5mm we think it will be fine, we prefer warmth we don't like to freeze and catch cold we will be diving +/- three weeks, 9/8 LB the rest of the days resorts.

The Scubaspa Zen is worth considering. Some highlights:
  • Spa services on board -- massages, etc.
  • 15 L cylinders available (really 13.4 L, I think). For North Americans, they're basically AL100s.
  • You dive from a "dhoni", which is about as comfortable as can be. Dive gear stays on the dhoni. Look at their website for pictures. Seems like a much better plan than shuttling divers back and forth in a small tender.
  • Good food & drinks considering how remote Raja Ampat is and how difficult it is to obtain fresh fruit and vegetables while underway.

The Scubaspa Zen is worth considering. Some highlights:
  • Spa services on board -- massages, etc.
  • 15 L cylinders available (really 13.4 L, I think). For North Americans, they're basically AL100s.
  • You dive from a "dhoni", which is about as comfortable as can be. Dive gear stays on the dhoni. Look at their website for pictures. Seems like a much better plan than shuttling divers back and forth in a small tender.
  • Good food & drinks considering how remote Raja Ampat is and how difficult it is to obtain fresh fruit and vegetables while underway.
That's kind of a cool idea. Purpose-built "day boat" follows the big boat and divers hop on, do their dive, and hop off. Obviously, the carbon footprint pretty much sucks, but I get it. More space for cabins, lounging, crew quarters, less compressor noise, etc...

That's kind of a cool idea. Purpose-built "day boat" follows the big boat and divers hop on, do their dive, and hop off. Obviously, the carbon footprint pretty much sucks, but I get it. More space for cabins, lounging, crew quarters, less compressor noise, etc...
It's the Maldivian way. Very comfy and convenient way to dive. That said, I wonder about the dhonis's ability to be a fast chase boat.

Thank you Dan. I have a 3 and ordered a 3M REACTIVE and a 5MM reactive. But with the other layers I have I can’t decide if I will need the 5 If I layer. OR— I may be better off keeping a 3 and a 5 and after day 5 switch to the 5 like you were saying..esp. with my 1.5 Vest hood to help, and a 3MM hood/bid to add !!
Just finished RA with Mermaid2. 5mm in OK. I could wear 3mm full just fine too, as I did in the past.

Just finished RA with Mermaid2. 5mm in OK. I could wear 3mm full just fine too, as I did in the past.
What were water temps?

What were water temps?
WARM 29-30C (84-86F)
Misool 30C (86F)
Penemu 30C (86F)
Kawe 29C (84F)
Wofoh 30C (86F)
Dampier Strait 29-30C (84-86F)

This trip was the first trip to Raja Ampat since February 2020 for Mermaid 2. So no data between Feb 2020 to Dec 2022.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom