Raja Ampat Liveaboard Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was hooping for some gear recommendations from Men who dove off the Arenui— Do most guys use a 5mm due to the # of dives per day? Or is a 3/2 enough if you have some under layers to use?
Exposure protection needed varies a lot for people, depending on their natural insulation and the climate they’re from. And is certainly not specific to the boat. My husband wears a 1mm. You might see people in anything from rashguard (or less) to 7mm in any tropical destination.

Exposure protection needed varies a lot for people, depending on their natural insulation and the climate they’re from. And is certainly not specific to the boat. My husband wears a 1mm. You might see people in anything from rashguard (or less) to 7mm in any tropical destination.
Thank you for commenting @Damselfish. That is true for any diving condition I know that. BUT, with 4-5 dives a day every day (like a DM), I’m just looking for feedback from guys that dive RAJA AMPAT, MISOOL, etc. My goal is to layer as needed increasingly until I need to go up to a 5MM. If I even do. I dive Cozumel regularly in a 3/2 and do not get that cold, but not 4 dives a day for ten days. I just want to be super comfy for this extravagant trip of a lifetime..

Thank you for commenting @Damselfish. That is true for any diving condition I know that. BUT, with 4-5 dives a day every day (like a DM), I’m just looking for feedback from guys that dive RAJA AMPAT, MISOOL, etc. My goal is to layer as needed increasingly until I need to go up to a 5MM. If I even do. I dive Cozumel regularly in a 3/2 and do not get that cold, but not 4 dives a day for ten days. I just want to be super comfy for this extravagant trip of a lifetime..
Yes my husband did 4-5 a day on a 12 night trip on the Arenui in a 1 mm. Sorong to Ambon. YMMV.

Thank you @ Cali_diver. I think with all my gear - Full Sharkskin two piece, a 3/2 Cressi, a Scuba Provest Hood 1.5 MM, socks, lava core shorts, and just ordered a 3 MM Bare REACTIVE I should be more than ok.. I don’t get that cold in Indonesia.

Here is my Raja Ampat temperature log:
1/17-19/2010 Dampier Strait 82-84F
1/20-22/2010 Misool 82-85F
11/20-25/2010 Dampier Strait 84-85F
4/1-6/2013 Misool 84-86F
12/22/2015 Batanta 84-86F
12/23-25/2015 Misool 82-84F
12/26/2015 Fam 81-82F
12/27-28/2015 Wayag 81-82F
12/29/2015 Waigeo 81-84F
12/30/2015 Gam 82-84F
12/31/2015 Dampier Strait 81-82F
1/1/2016 Dampier Strait 81-82F
5/16-17/2016 Pef 81-84F
5/18/2016 Fam 82-84F
5/19/2016 Dampier strait 82-84F
5/20/2016 Waigeo 84-86F
11/26-28/2017 Misool 84F
11/29/2017/ Fam 84F
11/30/2017/ Dampier Strait 84F
12/12017 Dampier Strait 84F
1/15-20/2020 Misool 84-86F
1/21/2020 Batanta 81-82F
1/22/2030 Fam 82F
1/23/2020 Gam 82F
1/24/2020 Dampier Strait 82F

I’ll be on Mermaid 2 for a week in Raja Ampat, starting today. Will write trip report afterwards.

I’ll be wearing 5mm full & hood.

Just came from Banda Sea a couple days ago. Temperature there was about the same as in Raja Ampat. For the first few days, I got pretty warm with the 5mm. I had to flush sea water through the neck strap of my wetsuit occasionally. By day 5, the 5mm felt about right.

I wear thin hood for skin protection & to improve mask skirt sealing over my face by putting the mask strap over the ears. The hood acts like socks to prevent blisters. If I don’t wear the hood, I have to put the mask strap above the ear, creating uneven seal on the mask skirt and leaking water at the cheek area.

With the mask inside staying dry for the whole dive, no more fogging lens and I can look up to the surface without worrying water going into my nose.

I’m going to RA in 2 weeks and here’s what Tim @ Blue Water Travel had to say when I asked about the “right” exposure suit:

“The water temps should be in the high 70s to low 80s in Raja. Some divers will be happy in shorts and rash guard, but some will be happy in a 5mm suit. Most divers will be comfortable in a 3mm suit.”

I’m bringing my new 3mm Bare Reactive full suit (only 33 dives on it) and a hooded 3mm vest. I was getting a bit cold towards the end of my Fiji trip in August, but water temps were only 77-79 for those last few days in Volivoli and I expect RA to be a few degrees warmer, so I think I’ll be good with just the 3mm - but can add the vest if needed!

I’m going to RA in 2 weeks and here’s what Tim @ Blue Water Travel had to say when I asked about the “right” exposure suit:

“The water temps should be in the high 70s to low 80s in Raja. Some divers will be happy in shorts and rash guard, but some will be happy in a 5mm suit. Most divers will be comfortable in a 3mm suit.”

I’m bringing my new 3mm Bare Reactive full suit (only 33 dives on it) and a hooded 3mm vest. I was getting a bit cold towards the end of my Fiji trip in August, but water temps were only 77-79 for those last few days in Volivoli and I expect RA to be a few degrees warmer, so I think I’ll be good with just the 3mm - but can add the vest if needed!
Thanks for the reply? Did you not have the vest in Fiji? And how do you like the REACTIVE 3MM? I just ordered a 5MM and a 3MM but I think the 5 may be overkill for that area. I don’t get that cold but I do not go 4-5 times a day for ten day’s even in Cozumel.

I’ll be on Mermaid 2 for a week in Raja Ampat, starting today. Will write trip report afterwards.

I’ll be wearing 5mm full & hood.

Just came from Banda Sea a couple days ago. Temperature there was about the same as in Raja Ampat. For the first few days, I got pretty warm with the 5mm. I had to flush sea water through the neck strap of my wetsuit occasionally. By day 5, the 5mm felt about right.

I wear thin hood for skin protection & to improve mask skirt sealing over my face by putting the mask strap over the ears. The hood acts like socks to prevent blisters. If I don’t wear the hood, I have to put the mask strap above the ear, creating uneven seal on the mask skirt and leaking water at the cheek area.

With the mask inside staying dry for the whole dive, no more fogging lens and I can look up to the surface without worrying water going into my nose.
Thank you Dan. I have a 3 and ordered a 3M REACTIVE and a 5MM reactive. But with the other layers I have I can’t decide if I will need the 5 If I layer. OR— I may be better off keeping a 3 and a 5 and after day 5 switch to the 5 like you were saying..esp. with my 1.5 Vest hood to help, and a 3MM hood/bid to add !!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom