Raja Ampat - August trip? If not, where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

explorer1565

Registered
Reaction score
I'm planning a 3-week dive trip to Indonesia/Philippines in August. I would love to dive Raja Ampat, but from what I see online, August is not the right season to dive there (unfortunately). Looking for confirmation that I should not dive Raja Ampat in August.

If not Raja Ampat, where to go in Indonesia in August? I have Bali and Komodo on my list, but open to other suggestions.

For Philippines, I have Cebu and the surrounding region on my list.

Thanks in advance; appreciate any recommendations!

I'm planning a 3-week dive trip to Indonesia/Philippines in August. I would love to dive Raja Ampat, but from what I see online, August is not the right season to dive there (unfortunately). Looking for confirmation that I should not dive Raja Ampat in August.

If not Raja Ampat, where to go in Indonesia in August? I have Bali and Komodo on my list, but open to other suggestions.

Thanks in advance; appreciate any recommendations!
Bangka and Lembeh

With only 3 weeks, I would just do Bali and Komodo, not really time to do more ...

3 weeks is short i would definitely focus on a given area. Bali and Komodo is a good combo and a no brainer for the variety of dive sites.

North sulawesi would wolk too, Bunaken, Manado, Lembeh & co.

And f you really want remote unspoiled but hard to access area, south-east sulawesi can be an option, Bau-Bau, Pasarwajo and Wakatobi.

Philippines and Visayas are not optimal in august, there's a random risk of heavy rains with diving canceled during a day or two.

Re Indonesia, East Nusa Tenggara is the driest part of the archipelago, no worries in august for Alor, East Sumbawa (Kalimaya) or Komodo combined with Bali. if you like to move as much as I do, you can easily combine Komodo, East Sumbawa and Bali in 3 weeks that's what I did last year).
Alor requires more time, though it ought to be coupled with Bali as well.

Personally I do not see august as the best season for diving N/Sulawesi since the southern monsoon blows and can be a bit of a bother for exposed sites like the ones located in Bangka strait, which are the best sites in the area. (although I have often dived Bangka in august, it can be a hit or a miss depending on the year... and you don't really want to miss it when it comes to Bangka.)

I dove during the end of July last year. The visibility was very clear (20m+) at almost every dive site around the Dampier strait. The boat ride was rough, because the waves were huge. But since most of the dive sites are only 30 minutes away from Waisai it wasn't too bad if you stay around Waisai.

The big plus, is that there weren't a lot of Liveaboard because everyone was in Komodo.

I've been in Raja at the Dampier Straits and north twice during August. Both times conditions were ideal. The south is undiveable then but it's the best time to dive the north. No crowds and blue water. The only downside is no mantas.

Back
Top Bottom