Rain?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nothing in the 7 day forecast concerns me as far as port closures go and I don't even see any 20 - 25mph reports you refer to :)

As Dave and I have both reinforced over and over again here, wind direction is more of a concern than the fact that there is wind. There will ALWAYS be wind coming from some direction - we are an island in the Caribbean after all :). For example, a 20 - 25 mph wind from the east is non-significant for diving - it's actually great for us and for the surfers on the wild side :)

Here are my tips to everyone for worrying/not worrying yourselves over Cozumel weather - bottom line, don't give too much thought to the weather reports.
  1. You can't do anything about it - ESPECIALLY a week out - as you said, it will drive you crazy - let your dive ops worry about this - trust me we do - and despite someone claiming that "nortes" are days "off" for us, they're NOT - it's actually more work and headache for us - not to mention to lost revenue.
  2. most of the time they (rain forecasts) are not really accurate, except when they are :) Wind Guru and Buoyweather are my go to's for wind which ARE excellent sources
  3. things can literally change overnight so the honest truth is that we REALLY don't know until each morning during a norte what the status is - even if it was blowing hard straight out of the North 2 hours ago - it could totally shift and be perfect conditions for boat navigation an hour later or vice versa - winds can pick up overnight. I for one will never cancel dives the night before regardless of the forecast - this past Monday was a perfect example! I will give an estimated liklihood, but we always have to wait for the official Harbor Master reports which are given each morning between 7:00 and 7:30am
  4. Again, wind direction is primarily what we keep an eye out for when we are planning for/making accommodations for port closures - winds from the W, WNW, NW, N, NNE are usually game changers and will close the port until the wind shifts. NE ENE = still a chance that port will be open, this does depend on how strong the wind is and that little tiny degree shift will make a difference. E, ESE, SE - we're Golden - southerly winds can make southern dive sites rougher, but usually don't cause port closures
  5. Rain? So what? Rain doesn't cancel diving and it doesn't rain underwater - I don't even pay attention to the "rain" forecast - it is what it is and I can't do a thing about it - so why waste energy worrying about it

So the moral to the story is don't worry about the weather or things that you can't change or control (and the wisdom to know the difference ;P) - enjoy your trip regardless of the weather - you're STILL on vacation and not sitting in the freezing cold, fighting the snow, sleet, bitter cold and trudging along in an office :)

BTW - here is the Wind Guru 7 day wind forecast:
View attachment 173624

Yes, but was I right? Lil rough far south on Sat and Sun? Then calm.

1. You can't do anything about it - ESPECIALLY a week out - as you said, it will drive you crazy - let your dive ops worry about this - trust me we do - and despite someone claiming that "nortes" are days "off" for us, they're NOT - it's actually more work and headache for us - not to mention to lost revenue.

1. I think I may have used the term 'day off' so I wanted to apologize if I offended you by it. If I did say that, it was only due to the dancing DM on the boat who called it a 'day off'. In fact, while I'm sure she doesn't want to lose profits either, I think she was a little bummed we still asked to go out after the port remained opened (she emailed us to ask us if we still wanted to go).

Rain? So what? Rain doesn't cancel diving and it doesn't rain underwater - I don't even pay attention to the "rain" forecast - it is what it is and I can't do a thing about it - so why waste energy worrying about it

Rain doesn't cancel diving, but it does kind of make the rest of the vacation a bummer. Don't get me wrong, our trip was amazing- but it would have been slightly more amazing if it wasn't so darn wet all the time and we could have done some more outside topside activities. Like you said- not much can be done about it, just have to make the best of the vacation (and we did). But I can see spending some energy 'worrying' about it, in that you might want to book your vacation during a dry season. Based on historical weather, it seems like that was unseasonable for December, so that wouldn't really help though.

If you try to plan a trip to the tropics based on weather patterns - good luck with that. Weather is unpredictable - that's just a fact of life. There is no TRUE "dry season" in the tropics. We are on an island surrounded by ocean with ever changing weather patterns.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom