Quit Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish_Whisperer:
Ditto, Hank. My parents knew I was smoking, too. They asked me, even though they knew, and I point-blank lied to them. *sigh*
I can always tell when he's been smoking because he stinks like an ashtray.

20 days smoke free here! I am eating like a pig and my six pack is turning into a keg! putting a lot of miles on the treadmill... man, I am hungry....

Congrats Fish Whisperer. Thanks for the update. I have been wondering how its been going for you.

Sounds like you are making great progress.. Day by day is the only way to do this.

Congrats Fish Wisperer & SteveDiver. I've been smoke free since May1st 2002. And yes it's true that it does get easier and easier. The weight thing is no big deal, as now with more energy I weigh about the same as when I was smoking, it's just that I've been able to shift the weight into muscle instead of flab(well some of it at leasteyebrow ).

I used to smoke 3 packs a day, all the extra cash is now supporting my new addiction:D ( you know, Scuba & Dive travel)

Keep it up

Holy cow, Chuck! THREE packs a day?? Man...

I've been running and lifting weights, and eating six times a day. I'm burning fat like crazy and at the same time, getting a lot more nutrients and calories out of my food because I'm not being robbed by the nicotine and smoke. I feel better than I did, even in my 20's. :)

Congrats. I quit about 5 years ago and it was without a doubt one of the hardest things that I have ever done. I smoked for eighteen years; it was like losing a friend. Stick with it, it is worth every painful minute once you get a handle on it.

I once smoked about 2 packs a day. Can't believe it. Anyway, I started when I was 15 and then I quit when I was around 20. Then, in college, I was at a writers' conference, and all I did was have 1 cigarette and I was hooked again. I think I smoked for another 5 years, and then quit when I was around 28 or 29. That's many years ago:D

The tenacity of smoking: A pal of mine is a practicing psychologist who put himself all the way through grad school by managing a bar. He smoked constantly. When he got his Ph.D., and incidentally proposed marriage to Ms. non-smoking Ph.D, he realized he had to quit. That was 16 years ago. He tells me that about once a year, he still craves a smoke. And that from a man who knows the human mind very well indeed, including presumably his own.

My pal also told me that he read a real study, not the barroom kind of study, about ex-cons in a half-way house. These ex-cons had been addicted to everything imaginable. The study concluded from the ex-cons that barbiturate withdrawal will indeed kill you, if not done under medical supervision; that heroin withdrawal will make you WANT to die; that alcohol withdrawal will make you THINK you're dying; but that tobacco withdrawal is the hardest withdrawal of all. That's breathtaking (no pun intended in advance.)

Third and last chime-in: when I quit smoking, I read the usual phases of recovery (three days=end of physical addiction; one month=lungs start recovering; etc.) One thing that stuck in my mind, because it seemed so far-fetched, was that the very last sign of recovery didn't take place until four-five years after quitting. That's regaining one's full sense of smell and taste. I'm here to tell you that five years after quitting cigs, rather suddenly, I'm smelling and tasting things in a whole new way. Those studies can be true sometimes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom