Quit Update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hank49:
It is amazing that once you stop you think and realize how stupid of a habit it was. Not to mention having to check your pockets for a lighter or matches every time you go somewhere....and now they're really expensive. I have a friend in England and he and his wife are pretty heavy smokers. They're cigarette bill is more than their house mortgage. Man. Think of all the gas that would buy for your boat.

I have a friend who schedules her day by smoke breaks, and has missed a lot because she had to leave an event for a cig. She is also fiercely independent and strong willed. One day I said, "You know, if it were a MAN who tried to exert this much control of you, you'd kick him to the curb!" She had no comeback for that!:14:

Great replies... Fairy Basslett, I dearly hope your son realizes that smoking is NOT cool, doesn't make him more adult, and isn't anything but a way to move through life having to constantly apologize, make excuses, literally burn money, and cause himself a hellaciously long (and growing) list of health problems. When we're 16, we're invincible, but time passes quickly, and even if it doesn't cause any problems now, down the road, it will. How much better to toss 'em out NOW, before having to fight a dragon later.

When I was in the Army, from ages 17-23, I had no problems. I could smoke my azz off all night long and drink like a fish, grab two hours of sleep, and then LEAD a 5-mile run. (Sweating out booze the entire way, and I must have looked like Pepe le Pew!) LOL

The best favor you could do for yourself is to quit. NOW. Whether you've been smoking for two days, two years, or two decades.

Okay, then. *kicking the soap box under the porch*

Fish_Whisperer:
Great replies... Fairy Basslett, I dearly hope your son realizes that smoking is NOT cool, doesn't make him more adult, and isn't anything but a way to move through life having to constantly apologize, make excuses, literally burn money, and cause himself a hellaciously long (and growing) list of health problems. When we're 16, we're invincible, but time passes quickly, and even if it doesn't cause any problems now, down the road, it will. How much better to toss 'em out NOW, before having to fight a dragon later.

When I was in the Army, from ages 17-23, I had no problems. I could smoke my azz off all night long and drink like a fish, grab two hours of sleep, and then LEAD a 5-mile run. (Sweating out booze the entire way, and I must have looked like Pepe le Pew!) LOL

The best favor you could do for yourself is to quit. NOW. Whether you've been smoking for two days, two years, or two decades.

Okay, then. *kicking the soap box under the porch*

Yeah, I guess when you're 16 you know everything, right. Congrats BTW. I quit so many years ago I hate to think about it. Reminds me of how old I am. :D

I went through this battle with my now almost 17 year old son. He was hanging around older guys that drank and smoked....other things too...I'm pretty lenient about lots of things but I busted his *** on that one. He hasn't smoked now for a year and is on a swimming team doing great. It's scary. Now I know what I put my parents through by smoking those few years I did.

So are you having the dreams yet, that you smoked? And you wake up going, "damn...oh wait, it was just a dream". I had those for two years after stopping smoking and then again after stopping drinking.

It sounds like you've quit for real then. Good for you.

excellent, Fish Whisperer! way to go... one day at a time is right

i have not smoked a single cigarette since June 1, 2003... making me
smoke-free for 2 years 7 months, and 19 days!!!

i almost never think about cigarettes any more. the exception is when
somone else is smoking.

cigarette smoke now gives me a headache, so it's easy not to want to smoke.

i did occasionally have dreams that i was smoking, and i would feel totally
dissapointed that i had gone back to smoking... with great relief upon waking up!

i haven't had one of those dreams for a few months

it just gets easier and easier

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom