quiet, single hose rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cliff

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with routing exhaust bubbles to a diffuser which would be mounted behind you? I think such an arrangement would acomplish several things; greatly reduce the noise of large bubbles going past your ears, break noisy large bubbles into quieter small ones allowing closer approach to fish, keep the bubbles away from your face, camera, etc. My old double hose rig has no way to connect a BC, also, I like the breathing characteristics of the single hose rig with the second stage at your mouth.

Cliff Gollus

Actually, what FreeFloat is showing is the new Aqualung Mistral two hose regulator. It is unique, however, in that it appears that the second stage can be disconnected from the first stage, and it could be chest-mounted. This is the ideal placement for a regulator second stage.

The Mistral regulator does not have the second stage in the mouthpiece though. That was tried in the early 1960s by Domone Manufacturing Company, with the Demone Mark I and Demone Mark II. These regulators were single-hose concept regulators (the Demone Mark II hand two LP hoses though), with a corrugated hose on outside of the LP hose to divert the bubbles away from the head. It never caught on though.

SeaRat

i think that that is a fantastic idea. perhaps atamization of bubles could be achieved by sending them though a sentrifugal spinne like turbin device hooked near to the first stage
this could mix water and air and a mesh filter could be incorporated as well.
You might stand to make some money if you can perfect it.

I have a gas powered aquascooter that runs submerged by way of a snorkle.
I was thinking about taking it deeper than 2 1/2 feet by presurizing the carborator section. anybody out there have any suggestions?

Cliff:
Has anyone experimented with routing exhaust bubbles to a diffuser which would be mounted behind you? I think such an arrangement would acomplish several things; greatly reduce the noise of large bubbles going past your ears, break noisy large bubbles into quieter small ones allowing closer approach to fish, keep the bubbles away from your face, camera, etc. My old double hose rig has no way to connect a BC, also, I like the breathing characteristics of the single hose rig with the second stage at your mouth.

Cliff Gollus
Not sure what kind of double hose reg you have. If you have a hookah port you can get an adapter to run a LP hose of it. Or buy a Phoenix reg from www.vintagedoublehose.com Three LP and 3 HP ports on it and all the advantages of a double hose reg that you seek. The new Mistral reg is not worth buying in my opinion.

Cliff:

Cliff Gollus
A number of years ago I saw on the Discovery Channel Shark Week a documentary where a famous U/W photographer, whos name escapes me right now, did exactly that in an attempt to film hammerhead sharks. He called it the "Scuba Muffler". It worked pretty well, but they had better luck just using rebreathers.

divemaster_jim:
Who can afford one? I think they cost close to $1000.00 bucks for one.:11doh:

Leisure Pro has them for $600.00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom