Quickest path to deco diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone still offer the TDI Extended Range class? It’s still on the website but a casual web search didn’t bring up any instruction available. Seems the AN/DP course offers the deepest cert without going full tech/trimix.

Does anyone still offer the TDI Extended Range class? It’s still on the website but a casual web search didn’t bring up any instruction available. Seems the AN/DP course offers the deepest cert without going full tech/trimix.

I’ve read several posts here on SB that TDI tried to do away with ER sometime in the past, but some instructors howled in protest, so they didn’t.

What makes you consider AN/DP to not be a “full” tech cert?

If they’re basic ow skills why do so many people struggle with them.

Advanced skills are just the basics perfected and if you can’t comfortably perform to those standards you shouldn’t place yourself in an environment where failing to execute them can put yourself and others at danger. All you need to do is read the bsac report, close calls, and the accident section of this forum, shadow divers and last dive to see why these “fundamental” skills need to be refined to a high level
another circular argument - how do you perfect your skill if you dont place yourself in an environment to practice them -ie under water, or do you expect people to have their skills perfected before they do the course? Training agencies are a business model to encourage people to go diving -they have set a bar that most can attain, what they do after that depends on the individual -you seem overly critical, that no one is good enough (unless your GUE) thats not how you grow a sport and grow a diving community

Every dive on compressed gas is deco diving!

I’ve read several posts here on SB that TDI tried to do away with ER sometime in the past, but some instructors howled in protest, so they didn’t.

What makes you consider AN/DP to not be a “full” tech cert?
”Full” tech to me means trimix. As far as I know there’s just a blurry, moving line separating tech and rec, and to me when I think “tech” I think trimix. Your mileage may vary.

If they’re basic ow skills why do so many people struggle with them.
I agree that a diver should be solid with respect to basic rec open water skills before venturing into deco diving. I don't agree that a diver needs to have perfected a helicopter turn (for example) to be able to safely do deco diving.

Simply dropping down to 130 fsw (say) to dive a Carribean wall or tour around the exterior of a Caribbean shipwreck, a bit beyond NDL, does not require mastering several of the skills in your list, IMHO.

This is what I meant to convey when I edited your list.

rx7diver

Simply dropping down to 130 fsw (say) to dive a Carribean wall or tour around the exterior of a Caribbean shipwreck, a bit beyond NDL, does not require mastering several of the skills in your list, IMHO.
Especially since deco time will be limited to 10 minutes. Which allows you to clear all your stops without having to stop in real time.

I asked the local PADI shop, and was told "deep diver" was the intro to DECO.

I went home and was researching the course, and found this was incorrect.....

I am never going to do cave diving, but would like to do some of the very deep wreck dives beyond 130 but less than 180.

What’s the hurry?

Especially since deco time will be limited to 10 minutes. Which allows you to clear all your stops without having to stop in real time.
@Alaskan Scuba Dude,

I am thinking of a planned deco dive (rather than a dive where one allows himself/herself to enter deco incidentally, "riding" his/her computer).

For example, suppose you intend to dive to TOD = 130 fsw for a BT = 25 min. Then, first consider a contingency plan for a dive to 140 [sic] fsw for 30 [sic] min.

1. Choose the best EAN for this 140 fsw contingency dive.

2. Check to ensure that you have sufficient back gas, including reserve, to complete this 140 fsw / 30 min contingency deco dive, including deco, entirely on back gas. If you don't, then adjust down the 30 min (first try 25 min) until it is clear that you have sufficient back gas. This will ensure that you have sufficient back gas for your intended 130 fsw / 25 min dive (or 130 fsw / 20 [sic] min dive, say, if the 140 fsw time was adjusted down from 30 min to 25 min).

3. Write both dive plans--the plan for the 130 fsw / 25 min intended dive, and the plan for the 140 fsw / 30 min contingency dive--on your slate, including the run time detail for both plans.

4. Of course, your dive buddy should be breathing the same bottom gas that you are, and each of you must be able to "cover" the other in terms of emergency gas supply. (So you and/or your buddy might need to go back and "adjust" your dive plans.)

There is nothing incidental here. This is formal dive planning.

And this type of deco dive is entirely doable without needing to master a helicopter turn (for example).

rx7diver

another circular argument - how do you perfect your skill if you dont place yourself in an environment to practice them
It’s not circular, you’ve said that a few times but I’m not sure you know what it means.
As for the how by focusing on perfecting the skills prior to taking on deco obligations. You can learn these in fundamentals, or the other fundamentals style classes and then practice them on your recreational dives until you’re unconsciously competent in performing them.

Finding the ‘fastest’ way to start decompression diving ignores the time and progression required to be safe and proficient.

thats not how you grow a sport and grow a diving community

Growth for the sake of growth is pointless. The standards should be set based on what is required to safely and comfortably perform the dive anything less is counter productive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom