Quick video of some Butterflyfish at Ft Wetherill 9/19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CT Sean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Nothing too exciting but we were happy to see them. They were is a pretty prominent location so likely got rescued over the weekend - assuming the New England Aquarium Tropical Fish Rescue went as scheduled.

If anyone can tell me what local fish visible are I'd appreciate it (the brown ones with the black spot at the back of their dorsal fin). Not very good with local fish ID. thanks

[video=youtube_share;7Mae6Mojmbo]http://youtu.be/7Mae6Mojmbo[/video]

Wow... "cool" to see them that far north. We have the scythe butterflyfish from further south here on Catalina, but it is a deeper water "tropical" and thus does fairly well in our cooler water

The Butterflyfish are Chaetodon ocellatus, Spotfin Butterflys, extremely common in NJ. I was diving this past Sunday near Barnegat Inlet and saw dozens. They have not got long to live.

I also saw and caught a small Emerald Parrotfish, a first for me, a new name on my life list. There were also many Bluespotted Cornetfishes. In addition to the Parrotfish I also brought home a miniscule Cowfish, Lactophrys quadricornis, the size of a small pea. It began eating blackworms this morning, so it will probably make it. One worm is quite all it can handle.

The fish with the spot on the back of the dorsal is not a tropical fish. They are juvenile Bergalls, also called Cunners, Tautogolabrus adspersus. These are native to the northeast, and when small are extremely variable in color. Some juveniles are a pinkish purple color. Rather slimy to the touch, and the bane of partyboat anglers after larger fish. Notorious bait stealers.

Let us know how you get on with these rescues. I hope the pea-sized Cowfish and Parrot make it. They're really cute fish.

X

Thanks for the video. Always like seeing what's out there.

under water some where

My father used to call those spotted fish charkees and yes bait stealing experts. Their mouths are usually to small for the hook being used to catch whatever fish the angler is after. You can feel them pulling on it but can't hook'em. I've seen folks from the Far East with buckets of these fish and big smiles on their faces, carrying freshwater poles. I guess they're good eating?

Thanks for the vid!

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom