Quick trip report Papoose 8/2/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I loved that dive. I dove the Papoose which is really the Hutton. That's how I remember it. Then I dove the Hutton which is really the Ario. It really only gets confusing if you are talking to another diver familiar with the sites and you are trying to figure out which Hutton or Papoose the other guy is talking about.

fireflock:
It confuses people - simple as that. Most divers probably don't care which wreck it really is, they just want an easy way to communicate which dive site they visited. Heck, look at the number of divers who come back from a trip and don't know the names for any of the sites they visited.

People who do care probably know the story or will learn about it.

While I'm sure we're getting closer to knowing the real story, things could change again.

There are other wrecks in the area which are not what they are called (ie. Governor), and there are others whose identity is known but they are still called something else (ie. Lobster Wreck). Who's going to be the naming police, crossing out all the 'wrong' name and insisting everyone use the 'right' ones.

Many ops that dive the Papoose don't put any wreck name on the schedule. Things will chance on their own in good time, I suspect.

What is an 'ambasador of the sea' and how does one become one?

Rich

If your not interested in the history of a wreck or knowing more about it to get the most of it, you might as well dive a reef.. Half the fun of a wreck dive is investigating it then going to look for specific things...

If you know what type of ship it is, you know where to look for specific things..

Diveral:
I loved that dive. I dove the Papoose which is really the Hutton. That's how I remember it. Then I dove the Hutton which is really the Ario. It really only gets confusing if you are talking to another diver familiar with the sites and you are trying to figure out which Hutton or Papoose the other guy is talking about.

given how the long the average person stays with diving, this wouldn't happen for very long.. For every diver that stays more than a few years you have many times that that only last a year or so...

Well to answer all of these questions, I dove on what was once considered the papoose, you know, the wreck that sits upside down in about 120ft of water and resembles a watermelon cracked in half.Would like to have seen a Jewfish, or would that be a Goliath Grouper?

padiscubapro:
given how the long the average person stays with diving, this wouldn't happen for very long.. For every diver that stays more than a few years you have many times that that only last a year or so...

It's so sad how true that is.

I think it is important to get the names of the wrecks right for the history books and charts, my point is that the dive ops probably will call them what they always called them....out of habit, out of fear, or out of defiance. Ed's Lobster Wreck will always be Ed's Lobster Wreck to me........even though I know its the Porta Allegra. The brick dredge will be the brick dredge, even though we now know it is the Playa.

We are trying to ID the Rosin Wreck right now off Frying Pan Shoals, and Pat Carroll (flounderer) has some good leads. That is the cool part of wreck diving to me, to find features on a wreck you are looking for in certain places.....LOA measurements, girth measurements.......but some people like diving wrecks for the life they attract, and that is fine too.

Tom

I could not disagree more!
Knowing the history and name of a rusted piece of crap on the bottom is mildly entertaining, but it is not the end all.
To me it is all about the structure, that is all about the fishing.
Sorry, just my 02.
Eric

P.S.
Outer banks diving is great.
Thier big boat is big.
They don't mind bloody fish carcasses onboard.

sasscuba:
Lionfish off NC? Did someone let some go out of an aquarium? Never seen one before in the wild.

Yep lots of em' everywhere down here!! Papoose & Naeco are two of the better wrecks to dive to get a view of em'. I captain the Mutiny for Atlantic Beach diving and my favorite is the Naeco for lion fish! They a have a few there that are over a foot and 1/2 long. You should come join us sometime for great photo op's.!!
www.atlanticbeachdiving.com

Capt. Al

If a dive operation wants to ignore reality and call it whatever they want, that is up to them. But telling their customers that a particular site is "WRECK A" and then proceed to give the details how it was sunk, which is wrong and misleading, is just that -- wrong and misleading. If you choose to ignore historical accuracy you might as well just make up some total BS story regarding a ship's sinking -- whether its UFOs, the Bermuda Triangle, or the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor. History is not static -- it is always evolving and changing based on new information. I see no reason for anyone to catch grief for misidentifying a wreck in the past if they were doing so based on the best available information. But to continue to do so in the future when new information so clearly demonstrates the correct chain of historical events and identification is just plain wrong (and stubborn).

While there has been a theory of the real identity of the PAPOOSE floating around for a while, that theory is (partially) incorrect -- as you will learn if you choose to read the WDM article.

I find it amusing that the ones that state historical accuracy and proper identification of a "rusty piece of crap" is not a big deal make the biggest amount of noise when it comes to artifact recovery and how its impacting their dive experience. Makes you wonder how the recovery of a porthole impacts their sightseeing tour of the fishies when they apparently could care less what "rusty piece of crap" they are swimming over? :mooner:

Mr. Barnette,
I found your post to be very informative, the line "rusty piece of crap" was used to express my opinion, not everyones. I am a fish killer, you are a historian. Without you finding new bits of rusty crap for me, I can not expand my range. Without me, my wife and friends would not eat fish.
As to artifact recovery... I do alot of that to offset fuel costs, only I call it salvage, and sell the rusty crap to people who find it interesting.
The ocean is really big, unexplored, and full of fish. There is plenty of room for everyone on this board and underwater.
Eric

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom