Quick trip report Papoose 8/2/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seamason

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Dove the Papoose on Wednesday 8/2, Seas 3-4 ft, clear sky, southwest wind, went out with Olympus. Vis was good 60-70ft very few sharks on the first dive near the break and forward part of the bow. Two good sized lionfish poking around for a meal. Second dive on the stern, had 6-7 sandtigers a couple very large. Big schools of baitfish, jacks, barracuda, and pompano, more lionfish. Great dive on a near perfect day.

Ahhhhh, Summer.

Lionfish off NC? Did someone let some go out of an aquarium? Never seen one before in the wild.

Gosh I almost hate to read that. I dived the papoose and the vis was about from the tip of my nose to my elbow. We had jacks and barracuda up shallower under the boat and no sharks...that we could see. LOL We did get to see some nice sized water spouts as we dodged them on the way out.

Yes, lionfish are starting to invade the coast of NC. They're not a native species and are starting to take over, from what I understand--no natural predators.
Apparently some marine biologists are calling for divers to kill/maim/capture as many as possible, from what I have heard...

I believe the theory is that they either arrived as larvae by ship or the more popular belief is they were returned to the ocean by people who had them in a aquarium and let them loose, possibly in Florida, and they migrated up the gulfstream to off the NC coast. the photographers on the boat were having a heyday.

To quote a major marine biologist here in Wilmington, "Kill em, kill em all." of course, I think he stole that line from Stonewall Jackson (Jackson said that of the yankees to General Lee, after the yanks burned Fredricksburg down on their retreat.) Trivial information night tonight in Wilmywood....trying to stay awake.

Tom

seamason:
Dove the Papoose on Wednesday 8/2, Seas 3-4 ft, clear sky, southwest wind, went out with Olympus. Vis was good 60-70ft very few sharks on the first dive near the break and forward part of the bow. Two good sized lionfish poking around for a meal. Second dive on the stern, had 6-7 sandtigers a couple very large. Big schools of baitfish, jacks, barracuda, and pompano, more lionfish. Great dive on a near perfect day.

Ahhhhh, Summer.

Which papoose were you on?? the wreck taht is probabably the real papoose, or what people have been calling the papoose for years (which by recent comparisons in can not be)..

PADISCUBAPRO,

Don't complicate matters for the dive ops. People don't want to go to the Hutton that is the Papoose, or the Papoose that is the Hutton that people don't want to go to.

If a diver says they went to the Papoose, they went to what is really probably the Hutton. Of course to some this confusion is new thanks to wreck diving magazine, however, this controversy has been a brewin in NC for 5+ years.......thanks to our wreck divers leaving no stone unturned. It is a mess, however, I don't think the dive ops want to air out these name issues out of fear of confusion and loss of business. Its more complicated than just a name, so the Papoose, will probably always be called the Papoose by the dive ops......even though it is probably the Hutton. There, confused?

Tom

fpsndiver:
PADISCUBAPRO,

Don't complicate matters for the dive ops. People don't want to go to the Hutton that is the Papoose, or the Papoose that is the Hutton that people don't want to go to.

If a diver says they went to the Papoose, they went to what is really probably the Hutton. Of course to some this confusion is new thanks to wreck diving magazine, however, this controversy has been a brewin in NC for 5+ years.......thanks to our wreck divers leaving no stone unturned. It is a mess, however, I don't think the dive ops want to air out these name issues out of fear of confusion and loss of business. Its more complicated than just a name, so the Papoose, will probably always be called the Papoose by the dive ops......even though it is probably the Hutton. There, confused?

Tom

I though the current state of thinking was (courtesy of Mike B.)

was ---- is

W.E. HUTTON -----> ARIO (ship features support this)
PAPOOSE -----> W.E. HUTTON (this one is probably has the best evidence)
SAN DELFINO -----> PAPOOSE (this is strong as well)
MIRLO -----> SAN DELFINO (artifact dates (its CAN'T be the mirlo), but size points to this)

I don't understand why its such a big deal... Up here we have renamed wrecks in the past once the real identies were known and dont know anyone who had issues with it..

Like what we called the Yankee we now know it is not and we don;t know what it is, so its now the old Yankee... We also know what was formerly known as the G&D is the yankee..

Same thing with "barcardi" and Durley Chine..

or even the Tennyson (the ship was actually renamed to this) as known by fisherman which is really the Yonkers..

If we are being abasadors of the sea and trying to pass on our knowledge shouldn't it be the most current that we have?? Even if we use the incorrect designations don't we owe it to others to at least tell them in the briefing what the wreck really is or probably is..

You don't have to change all at once, it can simply start like this.. post the schedule as XXX formerly known as YYY, then after a few years you can drop the formerly known as.. Beside with the diver turn over rate it shouldn't take long for it to be know by the more correct name by what would be the next "generation" of divers..

It confuses people - simple as that. Most divers probably don't care which wreck it really is, they just want an easy way to communicate which dive site they visited. Heck, look at the number of divers who come back from a trip and don't know the names for any of the sites they visited.

People who do care probably know the story or will learn about it.

While I'm sure we're getting closer to knowing the real story, things could change again.

There are other wrecks in the area which are not what they are called (ie. Governor), and there are others whose identity is known but they are still called something else (ie. Lobster Wreck). Who's going to be the naming police, crossing out all the 'wrong' name and insisting everyone use the 'right' ones.

Many ops that dive the Papoose don't put any wreck name on the schedule. Things will chance on their own in good time, I suspect.

What is an 'ambasador of the sea' and how does one become one?

Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom