Quick report - diving with Living Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you post some more details about LU? I know they are one of three that use steel Hap 120's but that is about it.

How do they do pickups in town or where do they leave from? Where is their surface interval? How long were your dives and what max depth? Do they provide lunch at the SI? Just water or are fruit juice/sodas provided? What time do they leave in the morning? How many divers per boat? What do they charge for a 2 tank boat dive (with steel 120's) and do they give a cash discount? Nitrox cost? Did they send you up when you were low or hit NDL or did you surface as a group?

I think that is most of the factors that set the various ops apart. Anything else that makes LU your preferred dive op?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Jay
Lots of your questions have been answered but here are my 2 pesos. I get picked up in town at the same pier Deep Blue, Blue XTC and Aldora use. I am always the last one up with Jeremy and our dives run 70-80 minutes as a rule. I know that there is a different price if you pay cash instead of credit card but I don't know what it is off-hand. Nitrox is about $10/tank. If divers are reasonably experienced, they go up in pairs as they get low on air. If conditions are poor, or if divers are brand new, that's another story. Kixy didn't mention this, since she didn't have a camera, but Jeremy has a HUGE (2'x4') container of fresh water for holding cameras (until after the last dive when it gets used as a rinse tank for regs and BCDs; wetsuits go into a separate bag for a thorough wash back at the shop). It has partitions so that they don't bump into one another. Unlike most ops with small boats that operate with 2 crew members (captain and DM), the crew on the Jewfish numbers 3 (DM, captain and first mate) so there are extra hands helping you get your camera, fins, BCDs etc. back onto the boat, serve food and beverages etc. Surface intervals are nearly always at Playa Palancar unless conditions are prohibitive or the diving is taking place in the north.

Chankanaab, maybe? What's the Jewfish? A wreck?
Hardly. It is a very comfortable, meticulously maintained dive boat. The name is kind of an "inside" joke.

Last edited:
Hardly. [The Jewfish] is a very comfortable, meticulously maintained dive boat. The name is kind of an "inside" joke.
Got it. Chanukah = Chankanaab?

Duhhhh, wait a minute..... Jewfish... Jewish holiday.... Never mind. :D

Last edited:
Ahhhhhhh....yes...I have seen the Jewfish at Palancar. Nice boat.

Thank y'all for the responses. I'm a fan of steel120's for vacation diving. Good to know more about LU.

Thanks again and Merry Christmas....or Happy Hanukkah depending on which boat you are on!

Jay

Almost stumped ya there Gordon! It's Chanukah :) (6th night tonight) and the Jewfish is the name of Jeremy's boat.

He takes most of his SI's at Playa Palancar. Nice long ones where you can get out, walk the beach, grab a coke or a bite to eat if you want.

Max eight divers on a very fast boat. Long dives, not unusual to hit 90+ minutes of BT.

He does pickup early because of the long dives and SI, so if sleeping in and having a long breakfast is your thing, he's not your guy.

I've dove with him a lot and he's on the boat probably 75% of the time, but I don't see the times when he isn't there as a negative. The couple of guys that fill in for him (usually when he has family commitments) are great guys who follow the same program as Jeremy, no let down. I look forward to seeing them as well.

I've never seen a sandwich on board though. :( But last time he has some type of calzone item. Bread with cheese and meat baked inside. Damn good!

I've dove with him a lot and he's on the boat probably 75% of the time, but I don't see the times when he isn't there as a negative. The couple of guys that fill in for him (usually when he has family commitments) are great guys who follow the same program as Jeremy, no let down. I look forward to seeing them as well.

I've never seen a sandwich on board though. :( But last time he has some type of calzone item. Bread with cheese and meat baked inside. Damn good!
Roger that. He always calls me if he's had a new contract DM for my take on them. Right now he's using David (used to work for Liquid Blue and Aldora before that) who I like a lot. There's another young guy he uses as well. I forget his name but he's easy on the eyes and also a good DM. I like low-key DMs who aren't trying to put on a show above water for tips but who just take you on a nice, slow, long dive. I have to say I don't generally see sandwiches either but he had them the other day. Bread with meat, cheese and pickled vegetables inside. And I brought home-made cookies.

Lots of your questions have been answered but here are my 2 pesos. I get picked up in town at the same pier Deep Blue, Blue XTC and Aldora use. I am always the last one up with Jeremy and our dives run 70-80 minutes as a rule. I know that there is a different price if you pay cash instead of credit card but I don't know what it is off-hand. Nitrox is about $10/tank. If divers are reasonably experienced, they go up in pairs as they get low on air. If conditions are poor, or if divers are brand new, that's another story. Kixy didn't mention this, since she didn't have a camera, but Jeremy has a HUGE (2'x4') container of fresh water for holding cameras (until after the last dive when it gets used as a rinse tank for regs and BCDs; wetsuits go into a separate bag for a thorough wash back at the shop). It has partitions so that they don't bump into one another. Unlike most ops with small boats that operate with 2 crew members (captain and DM), the crew on the Jewfish numbers 3 (DM, captain and first mate) so there are extra hands helping you get your camera, fins, BCDs etc. back onto the boat, serve food and beverages etc. Surface intervals are nearly always at Playa Palancar unless conditions are prohibitive or the diving is taking place in the north.

Hardly. It is a very comfortable, meticulously maintained dive boat. The name is kind of an "inside" joke.

Clarification - Blue XT~Sea vs Blue XTC - actually quite a big difference :)

Ha you're not kidding.
At first I thought you were referring to the dive shop in Xcalack.
Then I thought that maybe there is a second dive shop in Coz using the name.
But I think you are talking about something else entirely.

LMGTFY

Back
Top Bottom