Quick report - diving with Living Underwater

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kixy1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well , another vacation in Coz is in the books. Not our best trip, but there were a few highlights. Unfortunately, we had bad weather all but one day and the port was closed for 3 days, but I still managed to dive 3 days. That was definitely the highlight of the trip!

We headed to the east beaches during the port closure, but the wind had changed that morning so it was a bit rough and cool even over there, but man, is that side beautiful! Tip of a lifetime: Go to Liquor Box and have the world’s best mojito. I mean it. Have the mojito!! Tip to remember: Stay away from Playa Morena.

Due to the after effects of the norte, diving conditions were rough early in the week, but things smoothed out later. Water temps were good, but it was CHILLY topside all week. I was glad I brought my boat coat, although my dive OP did provide them. Visibility was the worst I’ve experienced here, but currents were mild meaning I could get close and poke around. I loved it! We saw a school of 8 black tips out on Horseshoe that everyone was pretty excited about and we had a truly special few minutes sitting on the bottom while 3 large spotted rays swam a circle around us and put on a show. I saw all my usual friends on the reef and even found a few elusive tiny guys. Pipefish seemed to be very scarce, and I only saw TWO lionfish! :)

This year I dove with Living Underwater and I can’t say enough great things about Jeremy and his crew. I’ve found 'my' dive OP :) He provided everything I could have asked for, communication and service were top notch and he made the BEST sandwiches! Long, leisurely dives with some really fun people. Jeremy knows how to provide a great experience and even when conditions are not perfect, how can Palancar disappoint?

This trip was also the beginning of a new chapter as we purchased our retirement home in Qroo. We wanted to be in Coz, but it was not meant to be. The good news is we’re close enough that I can get here easily!

Here’s hoping for a great Holiday Season to all of you headed down!

Congrats on your purchase for your golden years! Thanks for sharing your highlights. Continued safe travels to you.

It was lovely to finally meet you. Sorry the conditions weren't better but as a soon-to-be Mexican resident, I am sure we will run into one another again. You are a funny person on the boat!

Long, leisurely dives with some really fun people. Jeremy knows how to provide a great experience and even when conditions are not perfect, how can Palancar disappoint?

This trip was also the beginning of a new chapter as we purchased our retirement home in Qroo. We wanted to be in Coz, but it was not meant to be. The good news is we’re close enough that I can get here easily!

Sounds like a fine time. A few years back I did a couple of dives with Jeremy on a cruise ship stop & really enjoyed it; a class act from what I experienced. Did you dive one of the steel LP-120-cf tanks?

Richard.

Can you post some more details about LU? I know they are one of three that use steel Hap 120's but that is about it.

How do they do pickups in town or where do they leave from? Where is their surface interval? How long were your dives and what max depth? Do they provide lunch at the SI? Just water or are fruit juice/sodas provided? What time do they leave in the morning? How many divers per boat? What do they charge for a 2 tank boat dive (with steel 120's) and do they give a cash discount? Nitrox cost? Did they send you up when you were low or hit NDL or did you surface as a group?

I think that is most of the factors that set the various ops apart. Anything else that makes LU your preferred dive op?

Thanks and Merry Christmas!
Jay

Thanks for the nice trip report. We always dive with Jeremy & Living Underwater and we're looking forward to going back again in February.

To answer some of Jayfarmlaw's questions...
  • They have always picked us up (by boat) at the dock of the hotel we were staying at, including Hotel Cozumel (near town) and the El Presidente (somewhat further south from town). As I recall, they do dock pickups at most reasonable places, but I'm not sure of what their limits are.
  • Surface interval is usually at the beach club south of town (whose name escapes me right now; it's popular, lots of boats go there). Lunch is on your own there (not included), order what you want and pay for it.
  • IIRC morning pickups are typically 8 am but somewhat flexible.
  • Boat typically has 6-8 divers on it.
Jeremy runs a great operation, and I believe he's generally on every dive - he's always been there on every one I've done with them (going back about 12 years).

Jay -

When the weather was rough we didn't make it to a beach club for the SI, but went to that no-name dock that's used pretty extensively by dive ops. No amenities, but it's a nice little beach. Jeremy provides water, fresh fruit, pastries and sandwiches on the boat. He also has dry towels, boat coats and seat cushions :)
If weather permits, he picks up at most hotel docks, otherwise we all meet at the caleta. The one day we needed to do that, he was texting everyone trying to organize carpools. Very organized and attentive.
Pick ups were at 8:30am. We had 5-8 divers on board.
On the rough day we all stayed together, but after that you dove your tank, with some divers surfacing earlier. Max depth was about 116' at Horseshoe to see the sharks. All dives were well over an hour.
Check out the website for pricing, I don't believe there's a cash discount, but you can email and ask. Nitrox is available.
For me, I've been looking for an OP that gives consistently good service and can provide a single diver with a solid, safe experience. The little extras Jeremy provides are a welcome bonus. He takes good care of his divers and is very personable. It's was simply a pleasure to dive with him. I never felt like the odd-diver out because I'm a single and he's not one of those DM's that races down the reef. And who wouldn't want to dive on the Jewfish at Chanukah!? LOL
I've tried more than a few OPs over the years, and had mixed experiences since my dive buddy grew up and moved out. I'm happy to have found LU and highly recommend them.

Rainbow over the Jewfish.jpg
You know you have the right boat when there is a rainbow over it

Back
Top Bottom