Quick question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ed Hatfield

Contributor
Reaction score
Ontario , Canada & Playa del Carmen, Mexico
# of dives
500 - 999
Doing the Blackbeard's out of Freeport this November. Did the same trip last year with a 3/2 full but felt chilled more often than I would like. I want to keep to the 3/2 but would like some input on the best way to improve the chill factor. I have a 2mm hood plus a full lycra body suit under the 3/2 but still not enough. Is there a better product to replace the lycra? The next suit I have is a 7mm - not a good choice for the Bahamas.

I went into a Body Armour retail outlet at Birch Run on the weekened and was told that they didn't have anything for under scuba gear. I have been told not to put cotten against my skin under the wet suit because it actually directs heat away from the body. Am I best to look at a 5mm? (5/3 full?) I also plan to dive in the Red Sea in November of 2011. If I invest in a 5mm now will I be able to use it there, or will I be back in my 3/2? Any ideas or input would be helpful here.

A hooded vest may be a good option. It adds insulation to the torso and the hood can be left down if it's too warm.

I went into a Body Armour retail outlet at Birch Run on the weekened and was told that they didn't have anything for under scuba gear. I have been told not to put cotten against my skin under the wet suit because it actually directs heat away from the body. Am I best to look at a 5mm? (5/3 full?) I also plan to dive in the Red Sea in November of 2011. If I invest in a 5mm now will I be able to use it there, or will I be back in my 3/2? Any ideas or input would be helpful here.

There are a couple of options that work well, depending on several personal preferences..

1. If you don't mind hoods (I hate them, but like being warm), then a hooded vest works wonders, first by reducing water in and out of the suit, and second, by adding some insulation in a key area.

2. Just a vest also works... but is nowhere near as warm.

3. A heavier pile jumpsuit under the suit. Pinacle has a very nice one at a reasonable price... I have that one and a heavier Oneal one from stretch stuff. Both are comfortable, both reduce water movement and both are warmer....but they trap a lot of water, so you will weigh a lot move getting out than you did going in... still they work.

4. Wear a cap, good gloves and good boots.. they help. Not as much as a hooded vest, but it helps.

Ok, I own a lot of wetsuits..11 if I remember correctly, and I take pictures (meaning I don't move a lot at times), so I get cold...I use a 5mm in in bahama's or a 4/3 with hooded vest, or a two piece 3mm... or a 3mm with a jump suit under it...

Hope that helps

Thanks for the responses. After weighing the options I went out and bought a 5-4-3 Mares Trilastic. It's a full suit (no hood) so I can don my warm water hood (3mm I think) if I feel I need it. My second option would have been the vest but this way I feel like I'm only getting dressed once. The nice thing now is that I have some options because I plan to take both suits to the Bahamas in two weeks. This also gives me the advantage of have a reef suit for Playa del Carmen and a that little something extra for the cenotes. I think this was a good choice....I just hated spending the money.

Just a note to report on the findings from my trip. I used the 5-4-3mm Mares for the entire trip (19 total dives) with the exception of one dive, for comparison purposes. I found the heavier suit was perfect and was not chilled even once while wearing it. I did feel the distict difference with the 3mm O'Neil and although I only wore it was I could feel the chill starting to set in. The water temperature was a constant 81F. FYI - saw a hammerhead shark (6 foot) on the first day on the night dive. Saw my second (8-9 foot) on day 4 at a site called Krispy Kreme. It was just off the base of the mooring line in crystal clear water about 15 feet away from my buddy and I. We were the first two in the water and had dropped into the first finger channel off the line and there it was. It was between us and the wall so it did a slow semi-circle around us and then disappeared up and over the coral. FANTASTIC.

Thanks for providing the feedback after the trip

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom